Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done with the engine still in the vehicle? Its on a 70 cougar with a 351C, specifically the driver side...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yeah, it'll be easier if you remove the intake manifold, disconnect the exhaust manifold, and if any accessories are bolted to the cylinder head (not sure if anything is bolted there). That's all I can think of right now. John

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it'll be easier if you remove the intake manifold, disconnect the exhaust manifold, and if any accessories are bolted to the cylinder head (not sure if anything is bolted there). That's all I can think of right now. John

Ok thanks bro I wasnt sure if was possible since there cleveland is has tight clearance all around. Anymore tips? The reason for removing that specific head is because the headers pulled the bolts from the headers on the head........ yea let momma use the vehicle and she went over speed bumps way too fast...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I didn't realize you had headers until you mentioned it (didn't notice them listed in your signature). Perhaps if you remove the drivers side header, you'll have better clearance. John

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't realize you had headers until you mentioned it (didn't notice them listed in your signature). Perhaps if you remove the drivers side header, you'll have better clearance. John

Any more tips?.......Sighs....sounds like another project a brewing.. thanks bro

·
Registered
439 Posts
It may be easier to tilt the engine to remove exaust bolts or to have more clearance. To do this loosen the motor mount bolt on one side and remove the other bolt place a board on top of your floor jack place on to oil pan and jack the motor. Do not over lift you may bend your oil pan. Switch bolts to lift other side. I hope this makes sence.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Drain the coolant, man.

Work on the busted bolts outside of the car. Could be a major pain with it in the car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drain the coolant, man.

Work on the busted bolts outside of the car. Could be a major pain with it in the car.
Oh yea, that engine is too wide to begin with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts