Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you use to cut the hole for your hood scoop? Would a Rotozip work?

Thanks,

RayJ

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am using a saber saw with some metal blades and cuting oil

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AlphaCat's scoop is just decoration -- no hole in hood -- just the ten bolt holes that have body sealer around them. I don't need to get water all over my stock chrome air cleaner lid, engine, wiring...

It is hard enough to detail clean the engine compartment without getting waterspots all over it every time I wash it. Then there is the rust and corrosion, waterstains, peeling paint...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I used a air chisel and used tinsnips to trim the edges cleaner. i rough cut the hole and used tinsnips to trim the excess
thanks
pat

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am going to need to do that as well, good to hear different approaches.
Cougrrcj,
I can see where your comming from, i have a Boss 429 scoop comming and was wondering of you could tell me where and how you got it to line up straight on yours?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I used a "nibbler" to cut the hole for this one. Previously I had used an air chisel (messy) and a jigsaw with metal blades. The jigsaw works fine - cover the bottom with felt or something to save the paint - but the nibbler was awesome!

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
i used a "jig" saw and several good quality metal cutting blades. You will need to make sure that you get blades long enough to run through the stiffening ribs, if you will be cutting through them as well. They were the only "problem" that I ran into. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Use a cutting disc on an air die grinder. Cuts like butta! Seems like an air chisel would cause more damage than good.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The Boss 429 scoop is different than the Mercury 'Eliminator' or 'GT' scoop. The Boss 429 Mustang scoop is wider at the front than it is at the back and is taller. The Mercury scoop is narrower at the front than it is at the back. I just measured mine and it is 20-1/2" wide at the front and 25" wide at the back and is about 25-1/2" long. The height is only 1-1/2" at the front and tapers down to around an inch high at the rear.

The Mercury scoop follows the 71-73 hood bodyline perfectly. Just move it to where it fits the bodyline edges, take a marker to mark where the mounting studs go and drill away. The Mercury scoop holes are inline with the bosses stamped into the underhood reinforcement since the Mercury scoop was available on the 71 Cougar GT.

Remember, after drilling your holes, paint the bare metal so it won't be a rust starting point, and use some body seam sealer on the base of the scoop studs to seal water leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts