Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next few weeks, I plan on cutting the front springs to get the nose down. and maybe even the shelby drop (depending on how ambitious I get). I've read that it should be done 1/3 to 1/4 coil at at time and thats all well and good. But.... I've also read 2 different methods to cut them. Some said to cut from the bottom and some said to cut from the top.

So which is it? Cut from the top or bottom?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Cut from the bottom, the top is flat and you want to leave it flat, I don't know how low you want it but, if you do the Shelby drop you won't have to cut as much off the spring. I would cut with a cut off wheel 1/2 coil at a time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks towcat. I eventually want to get the whole car lower and level. Any tips? It has air shocks that the PO put on there. They are coming of. There is no air in them and it still is higher than I want it.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Gas shocks with lowering blocks work in the rear to compliment the cut coil in the front.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Andy, to add to what local hero said, install a good set of gas shocks on the rear and see how that sets, then do the lowering of the front and see if the front is lower than the rear. Measure from the floor to the top of the wheel opening on the front, then same at rear, if rear is higher by 1 in, then you need a 1in. lowering block.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will do, thanks. I hate those air shocks. I will probably do new swaybar(s) too. I am leaning towards the low and level look. Now if I can just convince my 11 Y.O. son I will be set. LOL. He is the future owner of the car and is really showing an interest in it!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
pics before and after please

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will it's gonna be a few more weeks. I had to spend the money from the "hot rod" fund to make up for lost money due to my back surgery. We also have a family vacation down in Cape Hatteras so that will take more time. Did I mention that it's been 95-100 degrees for the last week and a half? Gotta love the coastal va summers! If I can get a little ot, my wife will give me some back. She does a great job with the finances! Sometime a little too good if ya know what I mean. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts