Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm repeating myself, please forgive, but couldn't find any post I started with "vinyl dye". Picked up beautiful red standard door panels over a year ago now. The horizontal crosshatch pattern towards the top is lighter brown than my originals. Although I prefer this color, I'd have th change the back seats, inner rear panels and front seats. Is there any vinyl dye shop that could take hi-res pics from me, and customize a dye for the job?

When I was back in Dayton, OH, I knew of a place that did a great match for the dashboard. The gave me the pint, and I also bought a small handheld aerosol spray top, with detachable glass bowl/base. Eric.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I don't know if this would be of any help to you, but I'd say that there is likely shops that can do this. The thing that immediately came to mind when I read your post is Lowes/Home Depot who can scan color swatches and make matching paints. Heck, makes me wonder if Lowes/HD could just do the scan for you and give you a formula to take to a spray dye supplier to make up your color for you.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
go to a good auto paint supply--they should beable to match your color---as far asthe basket weave on the seat , i was able to get the material from a shop that does repro seat covers---might try sms in washington

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Is there any vinyl dye shop that could take hi-res pics from me, and customize a dye for the job? .
Sorry to say so, but no this can not be done, or well it can be done, but then you get the color that they see in the picture and not the actual color that is on your panels, and that can be a huge difference in the color.

Colors in pictures, pc etc does not show how the actual color is in reality, due to different settings on the various apparatus, a bright red car might look more like maroon on one pic, and perhaps with a more orange hue in another pic, and i might not see the same shade of red on a pic on my pc as you might see with the same pic on your pc

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have used SEM Vinyl Paint to redo the pieces I have picked up. In fact, for replacement pieces I don't even bother trying to get the same color anymore, I go for the non-desirable colors and then match them with the SEM vinyl paint. I would check out their selection to see how close you can get to the color you are looking for. I use the SEM vinyl prep followed by a light wipe with acetone and it comes out looking like it was made that color.

Here is the stuff: http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?cat=36

So, if you read into my post, if it were me, I would find a SEM color that I really liked and just redo all the panels I needed to match. Then in the future I would know exactly what I needed to do to match. Of course, the councours guys are grimacing right now, but hey, that's not the route I am taking my car so it's alright.

If you (or anyone else) consider this, PM me for some pics and I'll show you the quality of a finished door panel done this way.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the house, the shades of brown between the door panels was evident. I was just about the go into the auto paint store, when taking out the two separate panels I noticed a lack of difference between them - money saved for other stuff. Thanks for the replies. Eric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts