Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just want to know if anyone has ever did a Front grille conversion. I am interested in changing the grille of my cougar. I want to customize the front grille so I won't have the lights flipping up and down. I am also getting rid of the grille on the rear lights. This is a custom build as I don't want to be original. I have not seen a cougar with a different looking grille, is this possible and if so what are my options.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Stickin a v10 in it as well!

Sounds like a neat project.

I am not sure on the grill. I don't know how it will look with such a flat face and without hidaway head lights. I haven't seen anything like it so please keep us posted with pics in the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do Jeff,

Wow, you have an extensive line up of Cougars. Impressive. I will absolutely get pics, I want to keep the middle emblem of the mecury man. I just want to delete all the grille type stuff since that is what the cougar is known for.

Jeff, I was looking along the lines of something similiar to the 1968 Camaro. Imagine the Mercury Man emblem over the SS. This is just an example of what I trying to do. What do you think. I was told by many on FORD forums that the V10 engine in my 1999 F250 Superduty will not fit height wise in our cougars. Maybe so a '69 or '70 but I was told it's to tall for the engine bay. That would be cool though, a 1968 V10 Cougar.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I did see a 68 once that just had the verticle bars and the rest cut out so the headlights would shine through the doors....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see a 68 once that just had the verticle bars and the rest cut out so the headlights would shine through the doors....

Intersting wow, that is definitely interesting, But it will probably destroy the whole front girlle,... so this mean I would have to cut the grilles and leave the bars. Interesting. nice post :jump3:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Way back in the beginning, about 1981, we were considering grafting a 76-77 Trans-Am nose and tail onto my car. It measured relatively close enough that it could have been made to work.

But then I decided against it for the reason I felt that the nose and tail were signatures to a Cougar's style and should probably be left alone for the most part. So we went and changed everything else instead.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I didn't get to talk to the owner so I don't how he did it. it was interesting though.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Good point

Will do Jeff,

Wow, you have an extensive line up of Cougars. Impressive. I will absolutely get pics, I want to keep the middle emblem of the mecury man. I just want to delete all the grille type stuff since that is what the cougar is known for.

Jeff, I was looking along the lines of something similiar to the 1968 Camaro. Imagine the Mercury Man emblem over the SS. This is just an example of what I trying to do. What do you think. I was told by many on FORD forums that the V10 engine in my 1999 F250 Superduty will not fit height wise in our cougars. Maybe so a '69 or '70 but I was told it's to tall for the engine bay. That would be cool though, a 1968 V10 Cougar.
Forst, thanks for the compliment. Some are very nice and some.....well...

You're right...I dunno what I was thinking as there are a lot of muscle cars with a flat facia. I am a ford guy til death but you do have to admire the lines of the 1st and 2nd generation camero. It is funny though how tasts differ as I like the RS/hidaway headlights on 'em.

Good luck on your mods....looking forward to:bloated: @pics.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Man, you have some ideas.

Way back in the beginning, about 1981, we were considering grafting a 76-77 Trans-Am nose and tail onto my car. It measured relatively close enough that it could have been made to work.

But then I decided against it for the reason I felt that the nose and tail were signatures to a Cougar's style and should probably be left alone for the most part. So we went and changed everything else instead.
I guess the only thing I could hope that you will do is buy AT LEAST one more cat so that you can show your magic without tearing down an already awesome ride.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts

A Ha!!! Is this a clue as to what you were alluding to in the post about a next phase for your car? A trans-am nose on a cougar? You must be smokin' the good stuff up there...:smoke: :1poke:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
A Ha!!! Is this a clue as to what you were alluding to in the post about a next phase for your car? A trans-am nose on a cougar? You must be smokin' the good stuff up there...:smoke: :1poke:
You mean to come up with the ideas, or to actually get the work done:bong::thinkuh: :1poke:

·
Registered
308 Posts
How about the T/A Cougar?
estes2.jpg

For the tail lights, you could use the bezels from a 67 Shelby..the lenses are the same, and the Shelby bezel just goes around the outside

3918078290.jpg

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you pull the grille and look at the backside, the chrome will separate from the black parts. They are staked and screwed together, grind down all the pins, pull the screws and you have two pieces.

Have a buddy who made a grille for an 64 Buick Special. He used 1/2" x 1/16" strips, welded them together with about 1/2" between them. He ran them horizontal rather than vertical, painted it flat black and it looked nice. The strips ran in front of the headlights, sorta like radiator fins. He matched the body lines pretty well so it almost looked factory.

You could do something like that, but the grille and tail lights are what set the Cougar apart from the rest. Its very distinctive and not unattractive. The only thing I would change about the grille is possibly black it all rather than leave the chrome, and set up a single electrical actuator with a torque rod to control the headlight covers and ditch the entire vacuum setup.

the 67s Chrome is pitted pretty bad, so not sure what I will do with it yet..

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You could try something like this:

(I always thought they had a little 67-68 Cougar flavor....)

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Als the AMT 67 and 68 Cogar kits had a custom front end that had a recessed mesh grille with rectangular headlights at each end and a central horizontal bar. Sorta kinda like a 69 Shelby. It looked kind of cool, but not as nice as the stock setup.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Als the AMT 67 and 68 Cogar kits had a custom front end that had a recessed mesh grille with rectangular headlights at each end and a central horizontal bar. Sorta kinda like a 69 Shelby. It looked kind of cool, but not as nice as the stock setup.

I have thought at times of putting quad rectangular lights in the stock locations on my 69. I figure they would go better with the horizontal theme of the grille. But they're too wide to fit without cutting or grinding the grille parts, and I'm just not gonna do that.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I guess the only thing I could hope that you will do is buy AT LEAST one more cat so that you can show your magic without tearing down an already awesome ride.
You mean to come up with the ideas, or to actually get the work done:bong::thinkuh: :1poke:
Sorry... don't mean to jack V10s thread here. But you can all rest easy. No there will NOT be a Trans Am nose and tail on my car. This was just an idea dad and I considered back when I first got the car. The measurements were close enough. We were also considering a Firebird style "dual hoodscoop" at the same time. But then we realized how hard it was going to be to just make one scoop that we stopped there.

This is NOT to say that some more changes won't be forthcoming. This weekend will be a huge push toward that. So stay tuned.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... Thanks V10.:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hey, theres nothing wrong with a little creativity. Yet alone, you don't see many cougars out there, let alone custom modified front ends.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Haha,, i hope he don't think i'm smoking the good stuff.....every now and then don't hurt. Release some stress :jump3:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts