Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm lookin to spruce up my car's interior a bit. What I'd like to do is put in an Auto Meter tach and speedo, and a fuel gauge where the clock is (it's a 68 std). Then down where the little sliding door is on the console, put in the oil pressure, temp, trans temp, and voltmeter. I had thought of making some sort of metal piece to replace the padded instrument bezel and painting it, or using wood. As to the console, I thought of doing a custom wood one if I went with the wood, or possibly having a custom metal insert made to replace the current one that came all the way up over the current door openings. Of course, that'll take some tools I don't have, as well as skills I lack. I know there are some folks in here that have cut metal and done custom dashes. I am open to suggestions here. I thought of a billet aluminum deal, but the rest of the interior is stock parchment, so I wasn't sure how it would look. I have a walnut steering wheel, so I thought that wood would look good, but I am concerned with it holding up and not warping, etc. I think wood is the better looking option, but I don't want the cheezy looking shiny stuff you see on Honda's, etc. Oh well, please give me ideas...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kirkm76, I replaced the dash face in my 67 with a light oak wood. Although I didn't replace the Guage cluster containing the speedo and clock, I did add temp and oil pressure guages. Since I don't have ac, I placed those guages in the center of the dash face where the ac vents would be. I plan on redoing the work as this was just a rough in to get an idea of how it woudl look...Not bad. I am planning now when I redo it to also remove the padded covers and use a wood laminate to trim the console and console radio bezel to blend it with the dash face. Logan made a custom dash for his 69. there is a thread showing the work that he did. he replaced his guages as you are considering. He did an excellant job and I would assume he would be able to provide you with some excellent pointers. Good Luck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool

Now that is exactly like what I was thinking. I don't really want quite that many gauges though. Any more info on this and pictures of the finished product?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Aluminum Dash

You can do it,All you need is a Saber Saw and a Drill and some oil.Scratch out the dash.Take the drill put some holes big enough for the saw blade.Buy some GOOD metal cuting blades buy about a 1/2 dozen USE SAFTEY GLASSES cut nice and slow use the oil to cool the blade.Make a cardboard template Then file ,sand,buff the way you want it.Good Luck YOU can do it!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Pretty awesome.. and i don't really like that look....... tooo much like a trans-am( I never liked that look).... but it could be cool

Don

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
don
tbird did it way before the pontiac so they copied the ford.:D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dash and console in the pic are wood, correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts