Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have for sale a Custom Auto Sound KNW-801 AM/FM Cassette radio and 10-Disc CD changer. I bought these items for my '68 Cougar (The Inmate) in 2005 and never installed them in the car because it was in paint jail for about 5 years. Hence the name. Now I want to take a different direction with the stereo in this car. I originally paid $510 for this equipment; now I would like to sell it for $200. I'll include shipping to the 48 states for that price. People, please…don’t make me turn to eBay.

Full Disclosure:
I don’t think CAS still offers the KNW-801 receiver, but I believe their currently available CD changer is still the same model, though it may differ cosmetically.
If you are familiar with CAS components you know that they are not known for being very high quality items. The last time I checked CAS and Ken Harrison were virtually the only companies that made radios which fit the old Ford/Mercury dash openings. Ken Harrison was using a wireless FM transmitter from their player to their radio that doesn’t sound as good as the wired connection that CAS uses.

That said, I exchanged the CD changer because the first one I received did not communicate properly with the radio which is the CD controller. The replacement works fine. I also exchanged the radio because the first one I received made ‘digital noise’. The replacement for the radio also works fine. So you see if you buy my gear, I’ve already worked out the initial quality issues for you.

I’ve had the rig hooked up to a 12V power supply for checkout, but hardly had it turned on except to verify functionality. I will run through thorough checkouts once more before I ship if anyone is interested in this stereo setup.

Since I had to exchange components I held on to some stuff from the originals. You will get two 10-disc cassettes for the changer instead of just one. Two sets of instruction manuals for both the receiver and CD-changer, as if that matters. And extra chrome (on plastic) knobs for the receiver in addition to the black ones. Also multiple mounting brackets for the CD-changer and a spare controller cable (receiver-to-changer); it's an 11-pin, shielded cable that's a little over 16 feet long. As the pictures show the original packaging is intact and still includes the foam blocking.

The Receiver:
CD Changer Controller
Electronic Tuning
Seek Auto Tuning
Night Illumination
Fader & Balance
35 Watts x 4 Channels (140 Watts total power)
12 AM & 18 FM Station Memory
RCA Preamp Output
Auto-Reverse Cassette
Auto-Antenna Drive Power Lead

CD Changer:
10 Disc Magazine-Type Changer
4 Times Oversampling Digital Filter
Twin Digital-to-Analog Converters
3-Beam Laser TrackingDisc Up/Down & Track Up/Down Selection2-Way Scan & Shuffle PlayProgram Repeat
Install at 0°, 45°, or 90° to Horizontal or Vertical Surface

I have more and better pictures I can send. If you are interested it’s best to PM me since I check email much more than MCN.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Pm has been sent.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW that looks like the old kenwood shaft stereos....i think its just a rebranded kenwood unit, its identical to one i had about 15 years ago...and i think thats the kenwood part number on the front...all that to say, if kenwood helps out any for someone who wants it, you can google for more specs and reviews on that stereo.....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not just a rebranded Kenwood, CAS repackages the receiver to fit the unique Ford dash. Otherwise, the radio may well be based on a Kenwood design, I know the changer is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
didnt mean just rebranded...repackaged would be better term. all i was helping to share was that the internals, electronic parts, are name brand and kenwood is a respectable company....just tryin to help out with that info....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I'm relatively certain that Kenwood has no part in the manufacture of Custom Auto Sound products. Though the original design probably is from Kenwood, it's made under license by whomever CAS works with in China. You are describing a situation like how you can go to Sears and buy a Ryobi drill branded Craftsman, but this is different. This is more like Cherry making a Chevy, only in this case Kenwood did get paid whereas Chevy just got ripped off.

If any of you are watching this thread and thinking about buying this gear from me, you should start looking elsewhere. It's going to someone who contacted me the day after I started this thread. Money order is in the mail and the shipping label is on the carton; it's almost out the door. I think it's a good deal for the buyer, it's going for a good bit less than half of what I paid and I rechecked all of the functions one more time and everything works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts