Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't turn up anything recent in a search, so I figured I'd ask the question - what is the current availability of replacement leather upholstery for the 67-68 XR-7? Also, who makes it if it is available?

I'm trying to plan the interior restoration for next winter and want to make sure I have the things I'm going to need on hand before then.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm wondering that myself. Also, my 68 XR7 actually has 69 XR7 font seats. Do you think they can just be recovered with the correct 68 covers?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Johns Classic Cougars in Holland Michigan advertises leather available for the 68 xr7's. Will be looking to redo my front seats this summer.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
That's where I got my 69 XR7 leather, but have not been hearing good things about responsiveness of JCC as of late. I waited much longer than promised for mine, but what I got was nice. I also understand that the people doing them for John may be retiring soon. Both are "what I've heard" so take it for what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some chrome bumpers and trim from John in the last couple of months and the service was good. He's obviously very busy, but I got things when he said I would. That said, it requires a bit more patience and planning than when dealing with WCCC. They came through in the final stages of BBCat's exterior restoration in a way that JCC would have been unable to do.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yes, don and his crew are awesome to deal with!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got a complete set in saddle for my 67 XR7/GT form JCC. Did take quite a few months to get but i'm very pleased with the results. maybe not pebble beach but the color is good and the two grain patterns are similar to the original. Might use leather in placed where OEM was vinyl so even better. Leather does feel to be of good quality and has correct leather aroma.

If i recall the do not make a foam kit for 67-68 XR7 but foam seats of one year of Mustang and and backs from another and you're there. ..... i can look up what i used if needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...and has correct leather aroma...
LOL! An important characteristic no doubt. As opposed to the story I remember hearing of some Moostang? folks who had their seats done and due to what part of the hide was utilized, I understand they smelled like bovine a$$!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited has 68/69 XR7 Seat foam in the catalog. Says its a new product.....

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is an e-mail I received from John Baumann this morning:

John Baumann said:
Good Morning Bill,

Dark green LEATHER bucket seat upholstery would run $1,300.00 for the pair.

My upholstery couple want to retire, but until we find someone who is good
enough to take over, they will continue to work for me. We are looking,
but so far no luck. Most likely a year or so yet.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's where I got my 69 XR7 leather, but have not been hearing good things about responsiveness of JCC as of late. I waited much longer than promised for mine, but what I got was nice. I also understand that the people doing them for John may be retiring soon. Both are "what I've heard" so take it for what it is worth.

I got dark green 68 leather from John this past summer and I waited 4-5 months but it is outstanding. The inside thickness of the padding and attachment points were better than the original. The color was dead on. I would suggest that you order now because John told me at Columbus Thanksgiving that his leather people were going to stop and they have been waiting longer times to get the dyed leather from the supplier. I've seen the other stuff from the other supplier and it doesn't match the quality of JCC.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited has 68/69 XR7 Seat foam in the catalog. Says its a new product.....
Mine is a 67 and foam is different from 68. I used the cushion foam for a 67 Mustang and the backrest foam for a 1965-65 Mustang Pony. The backrest foam did need some modification.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Here is an e-mail I received from John Baumann this morning:
Interesting Bill. Unless what John wrote meant the entire set (front and rear), prices have gone up considerably since I bought my XR7 'vert set. $1300 was what I paid for the full set.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting Bill. Unless what John wrote meant the entire set (front and rear), prices have gone up considerably since I bought my XR7 'vert set. $1300 was what I paid for the full set.
How long ago did you buy yours? When I was last looking into it many years ago, I believe it was close to $2500 for the full set for 67 XR7. If I can get a full set of quality/correct leather these days for less than $2k, I'd be really happy!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How long ago did you buy yours? When I was last looking into it many years ago, I believe it was close to $2500 for the full set for 67 XR7. If I can get a full set of quality/correct leather these days for less than $2k, I'd be really happy!
Probably around 4 years ago. Maybe less for 69 'vert since the rear seat is smaller and only a small part (upper back) is leather?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Prices are slightly cheaper for black leather, too. The different dyes may cost different dollars.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i am going vynil on my fronts as i got the 12 yard roll for 100.00, and i am using late model mustang(05-09) bolstered foam, on them, and having the front covers custom remade

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Prices are slightly cheaper for black leather, too. The different dyes may cost different dollars.
Mine were in fact black. Thanks for that Ray.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dave,

I'd say that's a good price. No inflation from when I bought and that was some time ago.

Not quite done, but you get the idea. I did manage to get that wrinkle out of the right side back bolster. And, I did the whole job "muh-self"!

Regards,

Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts