Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still young and rarin to play with my cat. But, I do have a few questions for all those who know things:

What was the base transmission for a 73 xr7?

Is it true that a 351C has 8 bolts on the valve covers and a 351W has 6?

Does anyone know what safety features were in place on the 73 xr7 (the owner's manual's a little vague)?

Has anyone entered their beloved cat into any national shows?

Thanx all.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Your right about the bolts, sorry, can't help you with the other questions

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think the 73 came with a either a FMX or C6 depending on engine/options. Most common would be the FMX. If your car has the original drivetrain you can decode the data plate from the door here: http://members.aol.com/cougdb/decoder/decode.htm

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the site, but it lacks my car's ext color code. Code is 5M, and it's kind of a copper color. If I knew the name, i could get an exact repaint.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is it 5M or SM, Ford had a SM colour in 1973 called Medium Copper Metallic

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
NoKitten said:
I'm still young and rarin to play with my cat. But, I do have a few questions for all those who know things:

What was the base transmission for a 73 xr7?

Is it true that a 351C has 8 bolts on the valve covers and a 351W has 6?

Does anyone know what safety features were in place on the 73 xr7 (the owner's manual's a little vague)?

Has anyone entered their beloved cat into any national shows?

Thanx all.
Is it an H or a Q code? There were 7,945 (U) C6s behind the 351 H code 2V, and 24,680 (X) FMxs.

Q code 351CJs had 260 4 speeds (5) and 2,225 C6s (U)

The most obvious safety feature was the new 5 mph front bumper.

The AZ club just had a local show. There was a big Cougar Nationals in July in Cypress CA. See some of them here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/cougarsd/
Our San Diego club had a local show in Sept.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tim

thanks for the color info.

Cleo's a H code w/ X trans code. 351C w/ FMX auto

What's that DSO code all about anyway? Mine's coded for Denver....
:argue: <- ricer vs. hot rodder:p:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, new q:

what would I need to transform my H code to a Q code? and how hard is it to find?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Not sure you'd want to transform it into a Q code. The big port heads are a dog to drive and don't make enough bottom end.

You would probably be better off with a Edelbrock performer set-up (carb, cam and manifold), some head work to improve flow wothout the big ports, a set of headers and a good ignition set-up

You can probably go wilder but the drivability will go out the window and you'll have o run a lower ratio diff and hi stall converter to get it off the line (there's a lot of weight to get mobile)

HAve fun

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx

Thank you. Sounds like the basic mods my mom made to a 67 stang... her boyfriend at the time thrashed it racing (he was winning against an *******). SHe also told me my cat reminds her of her 73 pony car. hers was a smaller BOSS 302. y'all know what I got. I'll think about engine last, but am willing to take suggestions as to what I should do with what I got. Check out the pics in my gallery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts