Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have been watching how many people are on line for some time now and have noticed it is usually between 350-450 of which approx 25-75 are registered users. Thought this was particularly high compared to other forums. I have been checking it at odd hours and it remains high. It is almost 11:30 PM PST and there are over 400 people on line? somehow I do not think so. If it is in fact true someone needs to figure out a way to get these lookers registered as this is the most active forum on the planet. Second question is how does this rep power thing work and what does it mean? I notice some with more posts have less rep power. The posting activity is not active enough to warrant that many people on line 24/7. The Boss302 Forum is one of the more active Forums and they do not have 15% of the lookers online at any given time of day.
thanks
Kerry

·
Registered
425 Posts
Depending on which computer I am on at any given time, I may not be logged into my account. In the instances when I am not logged in it would not show me as a registered user.

Reactions: 67BlueXR7

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Second question is how does this rep power thing work and what does it mean? I notice some with more posts have less rep power. Kerry
I think people here give you rep power if they feel you're worthy. I think you click on that star next to the "report post" thingy and then you get one rep. I clicked on it (the star), but for some reason you still have 4

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Larry was just curious not looking to elevate my rep power. The members/guests on line must be a daily talley as there is no way the numbers are correct.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I have counted registered users, once, and fell shy of the total indicated.

It could be bots from google, yahoo, etc...

Jean

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Johnboy is right. The various search engines use multiple servers that are always crawling sites. You can filter the users on line to exclude the bots in some cases. Another driver are sites that aggregate content from other sites. I think of them mostly as parasites, they steal you r content, and bandwidth and add a bunch of useless results when you do a search. The number of users online is really just a tool to help the admin understand the demands on the site. The only really meaningful number is registered users on line.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Depending on which computer I am on at any given time, I may not be logged into my account. In the instances when I am not logged in it would not show me as a registered user.

I don't know how or why, but lately I've had to sign in each time I come here even if I click the "remember me" box. When this happens, I'm here but listed as a "guest"

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Are you permitting mercurycougar.net to set cookies in your browser?
I don't know how or why, but lately I've had to sign in each time I come here even if I click the "remember me" box. When this happens, I'm here but listed as a "guest"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts