Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, fellow cougar fans, today, I saw something that literally caused me physical pain. What did I see? No, not world hunger or war, what I saw was a 1969 Cougar XR7 convertible. Or at least what's left of one. Well, this is not just any cougar convertible. This baby rolled off the assembly line with every option available, air conditioning, tilt wheel, power windows, leather, tinted glass, am/fm stereo, 351 GT package which included an M code, 290 horse motor. Deluxe seatbelts and a console rounded out the options list. Now, however, things are much different for the car.

The car is from the south, and has probably never seen a salty road. What it did see, however, was neglect and water. The current owner bought it a long time ago as a parts car for his cougar, and I'm sure back then it was still a nice car. Then, since the top had holes, rain began to get inside. Why it wasn't under a tarp I'll never know. Well, this rain and standing water filled the inside of the car, and since there was still carpet and the white leather seats in there, ruined those. The water finally drained, but only because the floors rotted completely away. The cowl and trunk was likewise filled and drained in the same manner. And the rear end was taken out a while back, and the motor and tranny pulled and left for the elements.

I would try and salvage the car, but the pictures make it look far better then it is. The car had never even been in an accident, and still is in its original paint, though. I am going back wednesday to see if I can salvage anything off of it.

To think that this car was so great at one time, and then to be neglected to that point just disgusts me. There are so few of these cars around anymore anyway, and so to let another just die like that..ugh.

From beautiful convertible to hubcap storage bin.

Does anyone have any stories of cars like this that they've seen?

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant, now if only there was a classic car police to punish stupid previous owners.....

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
JIM,
you gonna buy the car off of them? i know you got like 5 69s already but wouldnt hurt to save this one from the hubcap bin holder and see if you can take the parts and use them on the other verts you got.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm going to try and get the rocker panel mouldings and whats left of the deluxe seatbelts. I got the console and tilt column today and I may get a few other misc parts. The guy is fixing up a 69 4 speed convertible, and is touchy about selling any parts. Though, he is very generous when he realizes he doesn't need something.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
BUY IT! THEY DONT MAKEM ANYMORE! I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN . I JUST BOUGHT A 70 ELIMINATOR IN ABOUT THE SAME CONDITION. WHY ? SITTING IN A FIELD IN GA SINCE 1977! 428CJRAMAIR 4-SPD COMP YELLOW HOUNDSTOOTH INT! JUST BUY A 45.00 PLASTIC COVER AT K MART AND STORE IT IF YOU CAN. SOMEBODY WANTS A 354 4V CONVERT! COME ON GUYS! GEOFF.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I agree, what a shame. I would have fixed up and saved both cars as I know we all would. Lets face it though. Unless we are only buying NOS parts for our cougars, then they must have been parted from some poor maybe salvageable Cougar. It seems many Cats must die to save the few remaining ones. What is almost worse is to see a nice one driving around after being "restored" using what little NOS and recovered parts there are and then have it wrecked on the highway. I lost a 69 convertible that way 10 years ago. Sad...!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pat,

Actually we are trying to take title to this car to save it in some way. True, we have multiple 69's but we do not part anything if it is possible to save it. Our M code was rescued from a salvage yard in Trenton, Fl. It was a rust free restoration project that was abandoned. We rescued it and next year, I hope to drive it to the Nationals. Our 69 std is only a parts car because a tree fell on it and crushed it( owned by a 93 year old lady w/49,000 miles on it, what a shame). We almost went to Rockford, Ill. last summer to save a rare XR7 conv w/ 4 sp. Remember that one Cougarrman!! If it can be saved, we save it. If not, we use as much of it as possible. That's what we should do, isn't it?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
id tell ya another Crimes against a Cougar story, but you guys already know the story behind the 67 i got lol. and the 70 :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I've seen worse restored to perfect condition...it's rare, buy the whole thing!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
still looks very salvagelble course pictures lie lie lie so hard really to tell but if you got extra parts everything can be fixed from what i see. buy it and put it on the back burner. thats thw whole reason i bought the 68 because it needed rescue.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ohhh what a shame, some people do not know better, I am also such a guy with a heart for classic american craftsman cars. I know exactly what you mean. Buy it, restore it and ride it. I saved a car last year also, the Dodge Charger 69, I'm restoring it right now. But my cougar is my pet.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Once I'm done rescuing my Eliminator, my next project is going to be a convertible. Hope to find somthing like this one and I'm going to modify everything with total luxaury and fun. ....and power;)

Tad.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's an update. I went to the car yesterday afternoon, and while I was looking it over for some salvageable parts, the guy offered it to me, and for free! All I would have to do was haul it away and remove a few parts (very few) off of it, and he even gave me the title for it. Who knows, in a couple years this car might actually see the road again! The car has a clear title and I'm going to get an Eminger report for it soon.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Jim,
great to hear that you are gonna save this cat from existance. Such a nice rare cat doesnt need to be sent to the heavens gates. Wish i had a deal like that, but alas i got 1 but it costed me 400.00 and in worse condition than that 1. But glad to hear a great cougar is saved and will once again roam the streets of florida. Hey jim you going to the daytona show in march? If so i`ll be there w/ my 70 vert, hope to see you there and meet you
thanks
pat

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pat,

My son Jason has done a masterful job of trying to salvage this car. It IS pretty far gone and it IS a shame! We'll see! To answer your question, yes, we are both taking cars. We are staying at the Jameson Inn with the rest of the club. See you there and looking forward to meeting you finally. You were checking a front valence for me, did you find out anything?

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Jim,
yes i found 1 its in the 70 parts car i got if you want ill bring it w/ me to the show in daytona, it will be bubble wrapped.
pat.
p.s. we can do the price deal at the show ok?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts