Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a '68 , 302 edelbrock 4bbl, stock ignition system. One morning this week I went to leave, and I do what I do every morning. Pump the gas once, and hit the key and it would fire up no problem every time. But this one morning I did that and it would just crank and crank and fire a little, but nothing. So I opened the choke with a screw driver and it made no difference, eventually got it going. I didn't think much of it, but I was leaving work and it did the same thing again. If I held my foot on the gas all the way it wouldn't do anything, but if I pumped it, it would fire more and more and finally run after about a minute of cranking. Everything is new in the fuel system, from the tank, fuel lines, filter, to the carburetor, new ignition system (except for the coil). Any ideas?

Very much appreciated,

Nate B

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - figure out if it's a fuel or fire prob.....suspecting your fuel system from the way you describe....See if your pump is working - look for the squirt of fuel when you mash it once. (You could dribble a bit in there to see if that get's it trying to start.)Might be you got something in it and plugged up the filter..? Carb floats stuck...a few thoughts to work on....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you, I'll check on that. Probably will replace the filter some time soon. Although I can't figure out if its flooding, not getting fuel, or weak spark.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll check this out, some idiots installed the points before I got the car, so it is worth checking.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ohh - somebody swaped out the points, it's very possible they hosed up the dwell adjustment - or it slipped...(hopefully they didn't do anything like strip the threads on the plate by being overjealous?). Once you get it figured out and running I would think serriously about converting to a pertronix and do away with the points.....you won't regret it. Or - upgrade to a durspark ignition setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts