Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was in Sears and saw a timing light, on the expensive side, with a gauge on the back of it. Traditionally, I would use my timing light and line up the mark around 13 to 14. Now, I didn't get to read the instructions, but I think the gauge helps you get the total timing degrees? Is this good to use instead of lining up at the mark? Anyone familiar with this timing light?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You are right, initial timing is one thing, but you can't check total timing with a regular timing light, the # would be off the scale. With this light, you can dial back the pulse of the light & use the scale to check total timing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think I have the same Craftsman timing light you are referring to. You are correct about using to dial in total timing. If your desire is to have 38 degrees total timing, then simply set the dial to 38, point and rotate the distributer so that the mark lines up at TDC. As far as the accuracy of the light goes I don't know...it's worked well for me. I think you are supposed to unhook the vacuum advance (if you have one) when setting the timing or total timing.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks, then it is worth the money. I've always wondered what my total timing is without running a mathematical equation that takes up a whole page... just kidding!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have that timing light, the only complaint is that the plastic clip that helps hold the cord to the gun no longer 'clips' it on.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, now all I need to do is research exactly where my timing should be with all the aftermarket parts i've got on my cleveland.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts