Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew there was a crack in my shock tower that a PO had welded. I was planning on rewelding, cleaning it up, and adding some reinforcing.

While stipping the engine bay, I found more cracks in the shock tower. Also, some of the spot welds have popped out. Crap. :bloated:

So, is this a fix or replace?

I need a drink...

This one I knew about:

Oh look, two new ones, left and right side:

Oh boy, these don't look like friendlies! :eek2:

And then there is this plate bolted/welded to the backside of the tower...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was looking at this kit as well. I spend much more, I might as well go MII, although I likely can't swing the $$$'s for that right now.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Replace it. If the tower is that bad of shape its like putting a ban daid on a dirty wound. Not worth fixing IMHO.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I don't know if these would help you, but I have a set of 69 reinforced towers I cut out of my parts car I'd like to sell.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if these would help you, but I have a set of 69 reinforced towers I cut out of my parts car I'd like to sell.
Thanks for the offer, not sure if they will fit a 67 though. Anyone know?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You could make them work - but you'll have to fab something anyway. Using 69/70 towers is a good approach and "looks" correct if that matters to you. Otherwise, there are plenty of good

·
Registered
508 Posts
Personally,...those are 45 year old parts with some stress cracks,...I would grind them back, lay down some heavy weld, then grind them close to smooth again and throw on some paint. In the future, if you decide to go the Mustang II w/rack route, you'll feel good about cutting those out.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, there are some real good options available if you don't mind hacking them out now....total control products is one that jumps to mind....but the wallet might squeal bit!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm dealing with a few shock tower cracks myself. It seems like stop-drilling the cracks, welding them up, stitch-welding all the seams and reinforcing them is a lot easier than replacing the entire shock tower.

Depending on your plans, budget and skill, you could get one of these kits or build your own.
http://promotorsportsengineering.drgas.com/mustang-shock-tower-repairreinforcement-kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300605430413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-Mustang-Shock-Tower-Brace-Boss-302-Mod-/220967498729?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3372b073e9#ht_705wt_1165

The last one has passed, but this seller has them up all the time. WCCC sells them too, but for almost twice as much.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Ok, I have a question fellahs.

Lets say you wanted to replace the shock towers. How much would something like that cost? Assume that I would have to farm out the work.

Also, if you cut out the shock towers does that take out the VIN from under the fender? I dont' recall the exact position of the VIN.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and ordered up a used shock tower from WCCC. I am replacing all four engine bay aprons as well, so I might as well replace this shock tower. Stress cracks I could deal with, but not spot welds that have utterly failed and separated. I will be doing one of the reinforcing kits as well. If I was going big block or high torque, I would probably lean more towards a system that removes the shock towers all together, but I will be keeping the mild 302 and really can't justify the bucks for a front suspension overhaul such as MII.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Mike, on a 67-68, the VIN is stamped on both front fender aprons (drivers & pass). Here's a pic of a used 69 shock tower. Scroll down to the 6th large pic and it shows a VIN stamped on it where the fender bolts to it: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/69dstwrused.html . John

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I see! So the VIN is stamped onto the top of the shock tower. I bet that can be a PITA when it comes time to verify numbers on a car :-/

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ok, I have a question fellahs.

Lets say you wanted to replace the shock towers. How much would something like that cost? Assume that I would have to farm out the work.

Also, if you cut out the shock towers does that take out the VIN from under the fender? I dont' recall the exact position of the VIN.
Honestly - at that point, I'd be tempted to just bite the bullit and go to a modern front end. Unless you are hard set on "original" for some reason, it doesn't make any sense to spend all the hours on making it the sloppy set up it was (by todays standards). I'd take a long hard look at something like Total Control or the one that airborne cougar is currently undertaking....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would love a new front suspension but don't think it's in the budget.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Interesting --- At least he didn't say "all the hard work is done"! LOL

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Interesting --- At least he didn't say "all the hard work is done"! LOL
LOL! Yeah :)

I figured he had converted to MII front end in order to stuff that 429 block in there. But after reading what you guys were saying, he might have done it just for improvements in the handling. Or both.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I see! So the VIN is stamped onto the top of the shock tower. I bet that can be a PITA when it comes time to verify numbers on a car :-/
check with your local state trooper they have the authority to stamp a new plate and attach it to the car. they actually came to my house and took pics. and verified vin on car before removal of inner fender apron w/ vin and will come back after i do the work to attach the new plate possibly w/ the original numbers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts