Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 cougar has a cracked shock tower ( drivers side ) any ideas where to get one and have it replaced in the seattle area and/ or what the difficulty rating might be for the D.I.Y guy.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The usual fix for this problem in a driver type Cougar is to weld up the crack. Replacing the shock tower is a bit complicated to say the least. You might try taking it down to John Benoit at Cascade Classics in Edgewood and have him take a look at it. 253-863-5669.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have a pair of shock towers out of a 70 with the stronger bracing for sale. Let me know if you might be interested, shipping may not be so cheap though.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Not to kill a sale for Mike, but it is one heck of a lot of work (and $$) to change out shock towers. Also, due to their structural nature, changeout is best done by someone with excellent welding skills. I would strongly consider welding and strengthening existing towers if they are at all salvageable.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
oh sorry i did but i can't fine them right now. i just made a card board pattern , cut out the 1/8 steel plate and welded it in . after welding up the cracked areas. the plate lays in the outside bottom of the shock tower and makes it flush so there is no place for water to lay and rust it out again.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
oh sorry i did but i can't fine them right now. i just made a card board pattern , cut out the 1/8 steel plate and welded it in . after welding up the cracked areas. the plate lays in the outside bottom of the shock tower and makes it flush so there is no place for water to lay and rust it out again.
These plates you mention are good things to do, but they are not the so-called big block reinforcements. The reinforcements are on all 69 and on cars (regardless of engine size) and wrap around the lower insides of the shock towers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts