Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my 68 Cougar at a body shop and am curious to know if there is a way to test for leaks in the cowl area without removing the upper cowl?
James

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If you have gotten water inside from under the dash and it is not antifreeze, it is generally from a leaking cowl.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Don't think mine leaks but if it did what would you do about it?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the info. 1969XR7Vert, that almost made me sick at my stomach, and I have a cast iron stomach! LOL!!! So, I guess you can't fix any holes from underneath?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sometimes people try to. Think about this. If there is rot, it began and worked its way from the top. So if you are trying to fix what you see from the bottom how much more is there (more) at the top that you cannot get to to stop or repair? Some people cut open sections of the mid-cowl (69/70) to get to the lower cowl to repair but you really cannot get to much when you are opening a window rather than the whole thing. On a 67/68 there is no removeable cowl top grate, only the top and the bottom. I would not recommend cutting open the top (which is what you see externally) over removing the whole thing. Generally speaking there is no easy fix for problems such as these.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
1969XR7Vert, I just didn't even want to reply after looking at them pictures!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
1969XR7Vert, I just didn't even want to reply after looking at them pictures!
No worries Harvey, it's all better now! And just think about how much I learned and the skills I have acquired!

Regards,

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts