Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how interested alot of you are in using a cowl cover, but I wanted to put in my approval of the magnetic one such as in attached photo.
I bought one on ebay for close to twenty bucks last year for one of my cougars and have since bought two more. One is for the XR7G I'm restoring to keep debris from falling into cowl area, the other two are on drivers.
I've not had a problem with them coming off and they keep out moisture so it's a neat deal in my book........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
cool deal. Ive seen those too, but just never bought one. I'll look into it one day for sure.

Rick

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine blew off at 80 m.p.h. on I-20. It was sort of warped around the leading edge though. Think it would have stayed put if it had laid right.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've seen those on eBay. What are they - a a fine screen with magnetic edges?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I bought one. It is a magentic sheet. Fairly thick and heavy and if you fit them right then they grip tightly. I think one of the theories behind them is that if they seal properly then the faster you go, the harder they get sucked on. No use to anyone though if they aren't fitted right or if they get warped. It looks good on the car too! The email to order one is [email protected] . It gets my vote anyway. Another interesting thig is that when you don't want it there (at a show for instance) it rolls up and goes in the glove compartment. You'll wish you bought one when your cowl vents rust away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think it looks pretty cool too. I repaired my cowl during the tear down, but was planning on pruchasing a pieceof smoked acrylic and cutting a cover myself. After seeing this one, I sent an email to the address.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If it's a solid sheet then you have no floor or AC vent air flow, correct? I guess what I'm getting at is you have to take it off to get air flow through the cowl....? I will have to do something because of all the pine needles around here and this looks like it's probably the best solution, but it seems like a fine mesh would be better. Is my thinking all wrong on this?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I just e-malied them also. if they sell the one's like Modified7 has I'm gettin one. I like the idea behind it and I think it looks awesome. Are they ment to be used while you are driving? Seems like you'd be asking it to fly off if you were driving with it on there!!!
Scott

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That is correct, you won't get air flow through the floor vents on 69/70 cars. I bought one after discovering a slight cowl leak during the monsoon rain at Cougars Nationals in Williamsburg. I haven't been caught in the rain since, but it would certainly do a good job of keeping the water out. He is a little slow to ship, but the product is very good.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks, Jim. I don't have cowl leak problems (knock on wood) but it sounds like just the ticket to keep them from happening. I think I will get one for those times that the car is out of the garage. I will just take it off before I hit the open road.
Itow: Please let us know if he has the type like Modified7's. I do like the looks of that one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I bought two last year on Ebay and am very pleased. I ran into the owners at the Thanksgiving Daytona show and they were extremely pleasant people. I would recommend them, also.

Jim

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know about losing them at speed, but in the little time I've had my 67 standard it has stuck around at 80+ mph.......
It really should have more downforce on it the faster you go, at least in racing applications the body is designed aerodynamically and in the wind tunnel you can actually see the cowl area at work.
On winston cup cars they actually have an air intake to carb at base of windshield........
For those ordering them you must specify the "black cougar" cover to get one like mine. I think otherwise you can choose plain or with mustang on it. Glad to hear there are others that enjoy them..........Keith

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got a reply to my email today. Steve sent me an order form for one and even gave me a military discount! Sometimes it does pay to "Stay Navy"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts