Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Notice the 1968 Mustang Deluxe arm rests. I actually think they look better than the actual xr7 heavy grain arm rests that made it into production.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I love those old commercials, YouTube has literally 100's of them from all makes and models. They make a good cheap night(s) worth of entertainment.

Anyone else notice how short the guys pants were that got out of the GTE. I think we used to call those high-waters or something like that. LOL

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Wow... a 2 minute commercial, from an era before ADD (not the math kind, either) and general short attention spa.... OH LOOK! A SQUIRREL!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Anyone else notice how short the guys pants were that got out of the GTE. I think we used to call those high-waters or something like that. LOL
Yeah, I noticed how short the pants were also. We used to say the person was ready for a flood. LOL John

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I love those old commercials, YouTube has literally 100's of them from all makes and models. They make a good cheap night(s) worth of entertainment.

I didn't see any men in the video. Just some neat cars and that chick with the nice dress. I do remember when I was a kid if anyone had pants that were cut a few inches above the ankle, then yes. Those were high waters. Usually it was because you were outgrowing your pants quicker than your parents could buy new ones. You kept wearing them. Now it's the style for some women, only they call em Capris. To me, they'e still highwaters. And as 68PUMA said, we'd ask "when's the flood?".
I'm not sure if that was a TV ad, or one of those films they had for dealers and salespersons to see. Neat ad.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
This GTE still exists today.

Although later on L-M removed the 427 side oiler and replaced it with their newer 428 CJ.

Phil Parcels now owns it.

This car's serial number ends with 0038, and there exists a neat internet story on it's history.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Ragcat;

Thanks for posting the link. Its a great write up on the VIN 038 GTE, but I think it needs some finshing as to the "rest of the story" on the restoration after 2003. Is there another link to visit that continues on with the story? Or maybe Phil would like to fill us in. :wave:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Ragcat;

Thanks for posting the link. Its a great write up on the VIN 038 GTE, but I think it needs some finshing as to the "rest of the story" on the restoration after 2003. Is there another link to visit that continues on with the story? Or maybe Phil would like to fill us in. :wave:
Don't know. After reading this thread I goggled Phil Parcels mercury cougar gte and this link was the second one down. It did seem to cut off abruptly I thought but didn't have time to search any more. Phil just e-mailed me this AM congratulating me on a '71 I just picked up and reported to him, so maybe I will e-mail back and ask him if he would be willing to shed anymore light, etc....
Thanks
Chuck

·
11,000 Posts
It is restored - beautifully - as it was when the car was road tested by a couple car magazines in the spring of 1968 with the 428CJ Ram Air engine. It is the original 428CJ, so there was no real dilemma which way to restore it since the original 427 was removed by Ford / Mercury and the 428CJ came in the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts