Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently converted all of my exterior lights to led's. Could someone recommend a good replacement led for the side marker? I really like the tower type, is there a short tower led that will fit in that confined space?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Dave, do you like the LED's output?.. I was thinking about it, but it looks like there are mixed reviews. I just picked up a "ribbon" of LED's at the swap meet that would easily fit under the side marker light - they had them in various colors....look to be something you might find at truck stops for trailer wiring/lighting. I am planing to use them for highlighting some cabinet work I'm building. But I can think of lots of other uses. Bikers use them under thier tanks/seats/motors for effect too.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/led-strips-c-1.html

·
Registered
389 Posts
i kinda think LEDs look out of place on a classic, kinda like 20 inch wheels would...or HID headlights....but to each his own i guess.....:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barney, I know what you are saying. I thought abut it before I replaced the bulbs. One problem that these cars have is that there are so darn many light bulbs. I've got a 100w alternator on mine and at night, when I'd turn on my signals, my volt gauge would show a severe strain. If the battery lost part of it's charge, the turn signals didn't work correctly. On top of this, I want to add a new stereo amplifier. That's a lot for the charging system to overcome

I am very happy with the leds that I have used. They are brighter than the original bulbs, they come on faster, and best of all, you don't even see the volt meter wiggle! I followed a thread on this forum. The author demonstrated leds alongside of stock bulbs. One thing that I was sure of, and I'm sure that Barney would agree, I didn't like the panels that showed all of the individual leds, to me, this screams "ricer". I got 6 red "tower" leds for the rear. These have 18 individual leds on each bulb and are facing different directions so that under the tail light lens, they appear more like a bulb. Only brighter and faster. I got these from Superbright leds. For the front turn signals, I used an 18 led "tower" bulb that I got off of eBay. They looked like the Superbright led, but they had an amber light instead of red. These worked great for the turn signals and they only cost $10 a pair, Shipped!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Barney, I know what you are saying. I thought abut it before I replaced the bulbs. One problem that these cars have is that there are so darn many light bulbs. I've got a 100w alternator on mine and at night, when I'd turn on my signals, my volt gauge would show a severe strain. If the battery lost part of it's charge, the turn signals didn't work correctly. On top of this, I want to add a new stereo amplifier. That's a lot for the charging system to overcome

I am very happy with the leds that I have used. They are brighter than the original bulbs, they come on faster, and best of all, you don't even see the volt meter wiggle! I followed a thread on this forum. The author demonstrated leds alongside of stock bulbs. One thing that I was sure of, and I'm sure that Barney would agree, I didn't like the panels that showed all of the individual leds, to me, this screams "ricer". I got 6 red "tower" leds for the rear. These have 18 individual leds on each bulb and are facing different directions so that under the tail light lens, they appear more like a bulb. Only brighter and faster. I got these from Superbright leds. For the front turn signals, I used an 18 led "tower" bulb that I got off of eBay. They looked like the Superbright led, but they had an amber light instead of red. These worked great for the turn signals and they only cost $10 a pair, Shipped!
Do you have any issues with your sequentials working with the tower type bulbs? I have one of Cougars Unlimited sequencers
and was wondering if anybody else had any issues using LED's. I've seen some videos comparing LED's with incandecant bulbs, but it was difficult to really tell if the LED's were brighter in all circcumstances. On one video it looked like the LED brake lights were brighter, but the static (just with headlights on) LED tail lamps didn't seem to be as bright. What's your take on this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seafoam, the leds are brighter in all circumstances, providing you buy good ones. I have seen demonstrations that have used some of the cheaper ones and they weren't as bright. I have a solid state sequencer in my car. I'm not sure if it's the same one that you referred to, but it works great. The lights sequence a little faster, more positive. Gives the car a little quicker, more energized appearance. I prefer a classic look to a resto-mod but this is one change that I feel good about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts