Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Sunday I went to Cortez, CO., to look at some Mopar parts. Mostly junk, but I mentioned I just bought a Cougar. The guy replied, "there is a 69 down the street. They want $2,000.00 for it, and it's not bad. I looked at it, but I'm not a Cougar guy." I thought, "Ooh, parts car. let's go look."

So he took me over there. Parts car, my azz. I managed to get it for $1,900.00.

It is an XR7, 351 Windsor 2 bbl, power steering, disc brake, ac, stereo, though now an aftermarket, electric antenna, white leather, but worn out, new tires, well maintained mechanically, with many spare parts. It is straight with no apparent bondo work, other than a small area on the roof. Arizona car with lots of nice chrome. Needs paint, as the clear coat on the upper areas is peeling.

So now I have a problem. Parts car? They say things happen in 3s. What next? It's raining cats on this dog. Rich
Cougar II 1.jpg Cougar II 2.jpg cougar II engine.jpg

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You picked that up for 1900? Some east coast guys would commit murder for a car in that condition for that money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somebody needs to make me an offer I can't refuse. I do not want to part this out, but I need some parts for the R code car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
To nice for a parts car, looks like a fixer upper to me.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey Zen, this coming from an East Coaster ----- YOU SUCK !!!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks like a good car to restore and drive....nice find for 1900 and an XR7 with some options to boot....any rust anywhere? how many miles?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Those are 2 really nice finds!! Maybe a nice driver till the R code is done. If it's really all original, driveline included I'd try to leave it as is. Maybe you can sell it, make a few bucks or trade bait + cash on some parts you need. I'm sure someone would be thrilled to get a nice ride like that. Hmmm things do happen in 3's maybe a R code convertable or GTE will be next?? LOL wish I had half your luck finding good deals. Congrats.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll be in Durango and Cortez in a couple of weeks and WAS planning to keep my eyes open for some nice Western Cougars. Given your recent streak however, I'm guessing there won't be any left!

Congrats on find #2.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Zen, this coming from an East Coaster ----- YOU SUCK !!!!!!
I lived on the east coast most of my life, So I understand. Now I think living on the east coast sucks.

BTW, the car is rust free, (Science Officer, look up the Earth referent for the term..."Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah".)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Those are 2 really nice finds!! Maybe a nice driver till the R code is done. If it's really all original, driveline included I'd try to leave it as is. Maybe you can sell it, make a few bucks or trade bait + cash on some parts you need. I'm sure someone would be thrilled to get a nice ride like that. Hmmm things do happen in 3's maybe a R code convertible or GTE will be next?? LOL wish I had half your luck finding good deals. Congrats.
The car is all original. It shows 99k, but the odometer stopped working, even though the speedometer does work. The owner says it has about 109k on it. He gave me receipts for work done from 2000 to 2009, which which he said was done in the last 20k miles.

According to the bills, the car got the following;
Major Tune up, thermostat, replace antifreeze 2000
Alternator and regulator 2001
Idler arm and alignment..replace Carburetor, (original in box in trunk) repair vacuum headlights 2002
Trans rebuild, power steering hoses, control valve, and power piston replaced, flexplate and starter replaced, rebush shifter, fuel filter replaced 2004
Complete suspension overhaul, all 4 corners, new pst coil and leaf springs, strut bushings sway bar bushings, gas shocks, spring perches, spring isolators, 1 ball joint, left motor mount, pinion seal, new radiator and cap, lube oil and filter, alignment, 2004
Tune up, valve cover gasket 2008
Solenoid replaced 2009
There are also bills for a rt door and fender and window replacement and painting, and left door latch repair.

He said the car was his son's pride and joy.

The cruise control was aftermarket, and not working, so I removed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would take $4,000.00 for it. I would rather do that than part it out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Zendog, I WILL buy it! Would you PM me we have to work this out. I'll have to set up a car carrier to come and get it. Dave,Bosscat40.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bosscat40, sent you a pm. number is 970-247-0871 Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts