Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just joined the forum.
My 69 Coug wont crank with the key. When I try to start it, the voltage regulator clicks once. It also wont crank by jumping the s terminal on the starter relay, but cranks if I jump across both large terminals. My red/blue wire is hooked up, but I don`t know if it`s getting power because my test light is AWOL. I did find a black/red wire in the bundle under the regulator that was shoddily repaired, and is no longer hooked up. Where does this wire go? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like your solenoid is stuck. If car cranks when you jump it but not with the key try tapping on the solenoid while someone else turns the key. Then for the price I would invest in a new solenoid. Also check to make battery is fully charged. Or have hook up to another with jumper cables and see what that gets ya.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car did run before I got it. The po melted the shift cable and messed up an exhaust pipe, parked it and lost the car. It was towed to my house and pushed off the trailer.

My car is a standard coupe with a 351w. My oil pressure gauge is hooked up behind the power steering pump. That wire is white/red if I remember correctly.

The ignition switch wasn`t being all it could be so I changed that. I also changed the starter relay because the I terminal was messed up. None of this has made any difference.

I thought about a possible neutral safety switch issue because of the shifter not being hooked up. I checked under the car on the tranny but didn`t see one. My manual 69 didn`t have one to my knowledge.

So where is the black/red wire supposed to go? The voltage regulator? It doesn`t sound like my issue, but it should get hooked back up regardless.

Sorry for the long post, I`m just trying to include as much info as I can. Thanks again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Primetime, you're right about red and white going to the oil sending unit, this time I got a flashlight! The orange wire and the black w/red stripe go to block ground behind the alternator.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like the problem I'm having with my 67xr7 289. I'm on my 4th solenoid, new high torque starter, voltage reg. etc. Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi all. Just joined the forum.
My 69 Coug wont crank with the key. When I try to start it, the voltage regulator clicks once. It also wont crank by jumping the s terminal on the starter relay, but cranks if I jump across both large terminals. My red/blue wire is hooked up, but I don`t know if it`s getting power because my test light is AWOL. I did find a black/red wire in the bundle under the regulator that was shoddily repaired, and is no longer hooked up. Where does this wire go? Thanks for any help.
You either have a bad solenoid or it lacks a good ground. You may have other problems but when you put B+ to the S terminal the solenoid should engage.

Bill

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 that's a good starting point - make yourself a good block to frame ground - like a 6 ga wire and nice clean connections. Then you remove any doubts about ground quality.....then start troubleshooting things

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No body ground. The sad thing is this happened to me once before on a truck, and a buddy of mine suggested it too. But I said "Nah, I cleaned it." But then after it was mentioned again, I made the connection. Again. The po didn`t hook the body to the engine when he put it back in. I don`t even know why it worked before.

But anyways, thanks for the help. Time to move on to the other stuff that needs fixed.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hard telling - something was just making enough contact to give you a ground to start it - hopefully it didn't get burned up in the process.? Keep plugging away....it never ends! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts