Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1968 standard cougar my wiring harness burnt so got a new one it will start and run till I let off the key. The red and green wire that goes to the coil I get only 2.43v I ran a wire from the battery to the coil and it will stay started that way

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I have a 1968 standard cougar my wiring harness burnt so got a new one it will start and run till I let off the key. The red and green wire that goes to the coil I get only 2.43v I ran a wire from the battery to the coil and it will stay started that way
First, make sure the starter solenoid wires are connected correctly: red/blue goes on the post nearest the battery.

Otherwise, the symptoms point to a bad ignition resistor wire (pink 16A) or crimp connection at either end. When the starter is running, this wire is bypassed by the solenoid using the brown (262) wire. Check the pink wire connections at the ignition switch and the 4-pin square connector (E) where the brown bypass wire connects to the pink and red/green (16B) wires. Refer to the shop manual pages 19-30 and 19-31 for the diagrams.

·
Registered
18 Posts
classic sign of a bad ballast resistor, but normally 0 volts. So maybe corrosion in the wire connections from the ignition switch to the coil somewhere?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts