Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help.

Went to use my Cougar yesterday and it would not start.

It is a 351-2V with an FMX Automatic.

Turn the ignition switch to the start position and all you hear is click fromt he starter soleniod.

No noise from the starter.

I have done the following;

Replaced the battery with one from another car - no change

Tested the starter soleniod on the starter side for juice with a test light. The light lit with the ignition switch in the start position.

Followed the Shop Manual Steps for adjusting the transmission Park/Nuetral switch.

Any ideas on how to diagnose what is wrong?

Thanks for your help.

John

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Did you clean the ground cable at the block? Are the cables clean at the soleniod and the starter? Dirty connections are usally the problem although the soleniod itself will sometimes go bad. mm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have cleaned all the contacts at the Starter Soloniod- on both sides and the soloniod cable connection at the starter.

Does the starter have a separate ground to the engine block or are you referring to the battery gound to the block?

Thanks for your help.

John

·
Registered
698 Posts
Jump across the solenoid, [make sure the car is in park],if that doesn't work,check your grounds, there is one from the engine to the body. If it still won't turn over the starter may be shot.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Is the battery from the other car good? Having a low or dead battery will make that sound too. Is your cables clean and tight, if not it will make that sound too. Try a new battery.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have had the (cable) nut come loose on the stater and the cable wouldnt make a good enough connection to energize the starter. I could see it sparking a bit down there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is the starter stuck or seized? Just my 0.02

On a manual tranny it is possible to rock the car with the shift lever in first or reverse. This often frees it up. Not sure on an auto.....never had to try it before.

Rob

·
Registered
207 Posts
You may want to run a jumper from +terminal of battery to the terminal on the starter and see if that will bump the starter. If the Starter wont turn the engine then it might be time to get a rebuilt one. Mine did this same thing as yours and had to replace starter 4 months ago.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
badcat427 said:
Jump across the solenoid, [make sure the car is in park],if that doesn't work,check your grounds, there is one from the engine to the body. If it still won't turn over the starter may be shot.

Exactly... What he said

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts