Votes: 42 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Hey Pat
The ones on ebay are outrights meaning no core exchange. I can do yours for $55 if its not badly pitted. I don't have any frt scripts currently

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Sounds pretty good, now what about a cougar script on the fender extension?
thanks
pat

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scripts cost about $50 to replate. I now have two good used scripts in mail coming to me. I need one for a client in Hollywood and maybe you'd like the other?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Bid to Own!!

It will be impossible to stop any business from bidding on Ebay items. They can't even keep the Strokecats from bidding and selling.

Since this is the case, we must live with it and go on with the bidding. Auctions are an emotional thing and usually vendors have a certain amount of money that they are willing to spend. In over 300 auctions that my son and I have bought and sold on, very seldom due I ever lose or sell to the vendors out there.

I bid on items that I need or just want and sell excess items to fund projects. Unless it is something I REALLY want or need, I also have a limit of what I will spend. If I don't win it, oh well there will be another one some other time. Ebay is a great place for availabilty, more so than for bargains. However, I have found both on numerous occasions.

Jason and I laugh at the prices asked by vendors like Fast Freddie and are amazed at the prices some items receive. Ebay keeps me broke and employed! Long Live Ebay!!

Jim

·
Registered
448 Posts
Vendor Bidding

If a vendor is bidding on his own auction with the intent of driving up the price of his own auction it is not only unethical, it is probably illegal. I am not sure which articles of commerce govern ebay "auctions", but I a fairly certain that interfering with the auction, by shill bidding, the vendor is violating either state or federal commerce law. I know this is the case in other auction environments.
Paul Garvin

·
Registered
454 Posts
When a vender bids on his own auction as Paul mentioned it is illegal. I belive that ebay does have a poicy regarding such actions which includes reporting them to the feds (I'm not sure which department specifically, but it is a federal juristiction)

Of course the feds won't do anything about it because it's considered a "civil matter" so people are pretty much free to do what they want, unless they rip off enough people (thousands or people or adding up to multi-millions) for it to be worth the investigating authoritys time... Funny tho how if someone were to steal an old ladies purse, they'd throw the book at them for that 50 bucks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Well, I can tell you from experience.. Dont expect the worthless folks at E-bay to do ANYTHING when something wrong happens.. I have been screwed royally 5 times to date with no help whatsoever from them and I have filed all the complaints each time... The last one was just a month ago. Spent $25 on 4 wheeler tires I never recieved anything, I paid with Pay Pal and neither E-bay nor Pay Pal did ANYTHING to the jerk.. He is still on there selling too...

Scott

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
email his bidders is all you can do

·
Registered
454 Posts
And that is the best thing to do... it fits into the nature of free trade and speech... Nobody is going to ever do anything about people ripping people off... All that you can do is vocalize the issue and inform any future potential victoms of the scam or whatever.

I think if more people were to speak up and let everyone know when they got scamed, instead of being embarrased by it or whatever, then it would be a much more difficult place for the scammers to operate....

It is in Ebays best interest to keep people quite about scammers, they don't want an image that it's a bad place to do buisness, and in reality it is a very good place, there is a small percentage of scams there, but it is a rising number.

Another warning for ebays (mainly for sellers) DO NOT ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS OR CASHIERS CHECKS! Espically on big ticket items. There is a MAJOR problem currently with fake MO/CC's and the fakes are SO good that the issuing banks cannot even identify them as fake... sometimes it takes as long as 6 WEEKS for it to bounce back to your account! (there is a reason supermarkets and check cashing places won't touch these things)

This hasn't happened to me personally, but I've heard about it plenty.

Just the other day I won an auction and the seller was taking M.O. only... I think he's crazy but I sent him one anyways (a real one)... once I have my item I'll email him about the problems with them (don't want him to think mines a fake before I get my item) LOL!

·
Registered
965 Posts
One of the ways sellers get bigger bucks is to bid up their own auction. Look at the bidders on the clock and compare them to his other auctions and you will find the same "0" bidders bidding the price up. When I am bidding on an auction, I always look at bidder activity. If i see this taking place, I stay away. Buyer beware, not everybody is as honest as you.

Jim

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
catman said:
A few years ago TCCN did a poll on Cougar Venders about the high cost of some NOS Cougar parts. A few of the venders rationalized the high cost on Ebay was one of the reasons.

I have noticed, as I am sure many of you have, that some venders bid against their customers on Ebay.
If the part goes sky high on ebay and the vender, who is one of the bidders, helps drive the price up, then those same nos parts that he may already have in stock go up also, even if the vender doesn't win the auction. The venders can't lose.

My poll question is;

Is it ethical for venders to bid against there own customers on
Ebay, or
Is it just business, it's a free country, live with it!

HOLD Hold on there Cowboys!

I am NOT saying Cougar Vendors are bidding in their own
auction, driving the price up on an item that THEY are selling!

Read the poll, not someones comment!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Is it ethical for venders to bid against there own customers on Ebay?
I would think that it would be bad for business for one of our vendors to use this practice. But on the other hand they have many customers some on tight time schedules for job completions at professional restorations shops. They can't please the whole herd when there is only one part.

Certain parts are going to command high prices. Common items like rear quarter extensions are mostly plentiful and are for sale most any week on ebay. Rare options and NOS stuff is pricey, how can we put rules on items that many people would love to have?

What about that set of 6 NOS styled steel wheel center cats for $1000? Yikes!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
How about the NOS Autolite battery for $1500 from 66?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah, and my comments were directed to help bidders in general, especially those who run into sellers like Stokercat, who sold the clock and ran the bid up with his list of "o" s. I personally feel that our Cougar vendors are very ethical.

Jim

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Don't forget to look at Cougar vendors in the TCCN archives at Cascade club site for an idea who's good and notso good.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
NOS wheel opening moldings going for $600+ per set. Outfits that make reproductions ought to jump on stuff like this.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Wheel arch trims likely will never be reproduced as there are not enough Cougar owners to warrant companies tooling costs. I can restore sets of four for $275 with shipping

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ray

Can you restore what is not there?
I have 3 and 3/4 wheel arch trims...still looking for one. Need passenger side rear.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I voted "No problem", but I think there are two types (if not more) of vendors bidding on inventory.

I see absolutely no problem with a vendor buying parts to expand his (or her) inventory, especially if it is going for well under the market. If a vendor drives the price up to higher than the market, then he is doing himself a disservice by purchasing something that he can't sell.

As far as driving prices up in order to drive up the market, I don't know if it's unethical, but it is a fundamental weakness of the free-market economy and capitalism in general. If a market is small enough (like the Cougar market, perhaps) the market may stop following the traditional rules of supply and demand.
I would call this kind of behavior "ethical but disreputable", and should result in the loss of business reputation for that vendor. In other words, if you see a vendor doing this, send him an email that he has lost your business and then don't bid on any of his products. That's a choice that you have in the free market economy.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts