Votes: 42 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago TCCN did a poll on Cougar Venders about the high cost of some NOS Cougar parts. A few of the venders rationalized the high cost on Ebay was one of the reasons.

I have noticed, as I am sure many of you have, that some venders bid against their customers on Ebay.
If the part goes sky high on ebay and the vender, who is one of the bidders, helps drive the price up, then those same nos parts that he may already have in stock go up also, even if the vender doesn't win the auction. The venders can't lose.

My poll question is;

Is it ethical for venders to bid against there own customers on
Ebay, or
Is it just business, it's a free country, live with it!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
It ain't right...... But it does happen...

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's no different than a bunch of rich guys bidding ridiculous amounts of money at the Barret Jackson auction and raising the price on the entire market.

It shouldn't happen ethically, but this is America and it happens.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
You should have had another option. We have to bid on some items that are on ebay. With out regard to who may have bid before us. We need to get items that we do not have in stock for our customers also. We do regrett the hard fealings it may cause from time to time. But we have to do what we have to do to stay in business, and serve our customers.

·
6,980 Posts
I find it disturbing sometimes too.

A good friend of mine found a part on Ebay and was bidding to win. This was a needed Cougar part for his car that is being restored. Another guy that we both know, purposely bid on the item because of the price.

I believe that the second bidder raised the price for selfish reasons.

Another explanation is that there could be a growing trend amongst many ebayers to buy NOS parts for long term investments. Kind of like proof coins or stocks.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
It's like everything else in this world. It's all driven by supply & demand and our market place is the perfect scenario. Like it or not, it is the American way and if you have the need to purchase anything that this world has to offer, we all have our threshold on what we are willing to pay.

I definetely do not condone the theory of driving up prices for the sake of driving up the price. If they have the need for that item then so be it and they fall into the same shoes we are all in and may the person with the highest threshold win.

Not to be an evangelical preacher but it aint the Christian thing to do. I wonder if they (anybody) who do this kind of stuff sleep well at night (hopefully not). We all work hard (well at least I do) for our money and it's a shame to see it wasted on people that lack charachter & morality.

That's my 4 cents worth.

z out

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
In my opinion they are just doing what the gasoline companies do once or twice a year. Like right now, for instance. Because they can.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I think we can chalk it up to supply and demand. I think we as Cougar guys/gals are in a unique position and have to use ebay as one of our main parts sources. If the stuff was available repo then there would be no supply/demand issues. It is like my current auction on Ebay, for the 68 6.5L, the high bidders are Mustang guys. You know what that means, don't you? They are gonna skin the cougar and sell it off w/o all of it's valuable parts.
It is a shame, but I need a bigger car and the "Cougar" people that are "interested" are not very serious when it comes to making an offer.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
It really is amazing how cheap Cougars are selling for aside from the rare ones. You can find a crappy looking Tempest or Lemans and it's gonna sell for $8K and someone will turn that into a GTO.

It will be interesting when I put my 69 vert up for sale in a couple of months. Hopefully it will attract the people looking outside of the box (ie Mustang & Camaro). Good luck Garey!!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Well, I am by no means a vendor but I do buy and sell some parts as a hobby. Actually my hobby is more buying parts, restoring them, then reselling them. Yeah, it sucks that the pricing keeps getting higher and all that crap, but if you think about it really, that is how every single business in this country goes, has gone before, and will go in the future. I mean, be realistic here. There are only so many of these parts out there be it new parts, NOS parts, or even used parts. The more time goes by, the less parts there are, the less cars there are needing them. Their will be a cieling to it, and also alot of the stuff that people pay "big money" just to have NOS stuff, is silly. I see bushings and crap that once installed on a car no one in this world could tell weather is was NOS or repro go for big money... In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons prices are going up now is, with E-bay, someone with too much cash and no real knowlegde of restoring a car can surf the net and pay too much for stuff and not care where we can use normal resources and pay the right prices. Another of the problems is the vendors who are doing this for a living are getting smarter and better at marketing their parts on E-bay now, musclecaruniverse for example. He is from canada and used to sell parts at decent prices, now he is the highest guy on E-bay next to Fast Freddy from Mustang Masters who charges double what stuff is worth.. The problem is the buyers not the sellers if you think about it.. If each one of us that are complaining would be honest with ourselves, if we had the parts, we would try to get the most out of that we easily could also. Thats how America works. If someones willing to pay, someone else will surely sell. I dont like it either but thats how it is. E-bay has made it easier to find parts, but much more expensive to buy them. BUT, it also has lowered some prices on some of the stuff, last year really nice Drivers mirrors were woth HUGE money along with nice trunk chromes, now they repro the mirrors and you can buy perfect trunk chromes for $100 anywhere... So is it good or bad? You tell me

·
6,980 Posts
I sell on ebay too. Mostly to get rid of the parts that I retain from parted Cougars. Some also from local wrecking yards. Decent money and much better than sitting at a swap meet for a weekend.
I have noticed that most of my parts are going to the northeast. There is also a large group of regular bidders on my auctions that lean more towards Ford muscle parts. I suspect that these guys are buying to resell at Columbus, Heshey, Carlisle, etc.
Part speculators I call them.
I live locally near the Pomona and Long Beach HiPo swap meets.
These are held nearly monthly in both locations. Many, many, vendors have folded up their tents and have gone the ebay route.
Better prices and no hagglers.
Ebay has created a ready market for odd ball things to any person the world over with a computer and modem.
It is easy to do, and you can do it out of your garage.

The USPS is a friendly tool for me too. They give priority mailing boxes, tape, pre-addressed shipping labels all for free. They also have the best rate for money orders, 40 cents I think.

It is hard for us little guys to maintain and restore their cars when someone else keeps paying more for a part than it sold for last week.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its an auction. High bidder wins! Other auctions, home, land,
farm, equipement, auto, household, etc. are attended by those in the buisiness. (dealers, vendors, antique). We must be as smart
with our dollar as we can. Sometimes we get caught paying too much, but that is the way this world goes round. Sometimes we sell too high also. Hooray!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yep, I agree. I live 1/2 hour from Carlisle and go to all of the ones with Ford parts.. I LOVE ALL FORD!!!! We rent 7 spaces for 5 days for all Ford weekend! But, I dont my best on E-bay also... I have a perfect set of restored taillights on there right now along with a 69 -70 console and a few odds n ends...

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Muclecaruniverse is the local firemen here buying up every single muscle car they can find and parting it out on web. Mostly Chev and Dodge very few Cougar parts. They tell me no one has any interest in Cougars. I am not opposed to guys selling parts however I am opposed to guys buying up cars that could be restored solely to part out for the $$. I only sell my spare parts do not strip and sell viable projects, rarely on ebay and have found that ebay has some very cheap priced parts. I seldom find ebay a good place to pedal my restored pieces. I currently am having a tough time getting $100 for restored gas door crests or $125 for a restored newly lensed functioning calibrated clock. No one is even buying the lens I make for $60 when the alternative is $88 so I'm not seeing high prices or parts going for too much in the ebay Cougar arena in fact I find the prices of many parts too cheap that its not worth my while even trying to sell on ebay.
Trunk trims for $100? I did restore 20 or so for Don and he sells them I think for $125 which I think is a bargain when NOS costs over $200 and viable cores are not as plentiful as they used to be.
I prefer to sell my parts on the Cougar boards for a fair price

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I agree with you Ray, I dont think decent cars should be parted out. Musclecaruniverse has a complete front headlight/grille assay on there right now for a buy it now of like $369!!! And thats just a used one with rusted out buckets. Heck, I have several sets of restored ones in awesome shape that I am not trying to get that kind of money for. John Baughman was selling the reconditioned trunk trims for $100 the last I checked. Like I said before, to me its just a fun hobby that I enjoy and I like the challenge of fixing a broken console or whatever... I read alot of your articles on TCCN about restoring door panels and such and thought they were great. But you are right, when you put alot of time and hard work into restoring some of these parts, they are worth some money and you shouldn't give em away.. I will set on my headlight and taillight assay's for years if I have to. Eventually they will be worth some decent money. The thing that pisses me off is guys like Mustang Masters. He is a jerk, he scavanges while he is at the swap meets, he changes his shirt and walks around and lowballs the people who are there for the hobby then takes the parts to his spots and triples the prices... That is a jerk in my book. Nothing wrong with making a living but when you have to be sneaky and deceptive there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Ray, if you would, e-mail me at [email protected], I had something I wanted to talk about.. I may not reply till tomorrow though (Saturday morning)

Scott

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott
Totally agree w/U on slippery folks and their "methods" I typically go 50 50 with whomever sets me up with a piece sharing the wealth.
I also have tons o grilles none 69 though,lol. Typical price for a complete grille side is $150 for a good used IMO. More if the 67/8 backing is real nice or the vac pot is good kinda thing. Most grilles here in BC are good cause we don't use the caustic solutions some back east states have to use. The chrome stays good here for the most part.
I also have enjoyed fixing pieces up saving them from landfills and giving them a new life. I can buy complete grilles for less than what the one you mention is up for however I have ten or so and not buying anymore till some of these go away.
I find grilles and taillites a real hard sell unless its 69/70 viable rechromable cores.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I really take offence to the American way, how about the world way! Everyone is out to make a living, the only way to do it is by PROFIT. You dont have to buy something you think is over priced.What makes our country so great besides Many other things is the freedom of free enterprise. Would you rather be in North Korea?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I do not condone BS! Represent a product as it is. I make my living on reclaimed lumber.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ray
i seen you are selling the gas door crests, now do you d o a exchange basis for parts as well?I seen the 1 you got or had on ebay n it looked really nice, i am considering one of your gas door crests.Also you have any rechromed COUGAR scripts for the fender extension on the drivers side for a 70?
thanks
pat

1 - 20 of 49 Posts