Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That doesn't fit the pattern of Cougar VIN. Do you know what engine size it had? I'm going to guess that the VIN was 9F93H590475. The "H" stands for the 351 2v engine, which was standard.

9 = year (1969)
F = Assembly plant (Dearborn) Alternative would be "S" for San Diego.
93 = XR7 hardtop
H = engine code, alternatives are M (351 4v), S (390) Q (428CJ) or R (428CJ with ram air)
5xxxxx = sequential number.

Try contacting Phil Parcells, who runs the VIN database, and see what info he has for that VIN... http://www.cougarclub.org/about/contact.html

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Once the VIN is straightened out, someone hook this fellow up with the registry/registry folks to see if it is listed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That doesn't fit the pattern of Cougar VIN. Do you know what engine size it had? I'm going to guess that the VIN was 9F93H590475. The "H" stands for the 351 2v engine, which was standard.

9 = year (1969)
F = Assembly plant (Dearborn) Alternative would be "S" for San Diego.
93 = XR7 hardtop
H = engine code, alternatives are M (351 4v), S (390) Q (428CJ) or R (428CJ with ram air)
5xxxxx = sequential number.

Try contacting Phil Parcells, who runs the VIN database, and see what info he has for that VIN... http://www.cougarclub.org/about/contact.html
It had a 351 windsor 2- barrel carb. That's weird about the vin number? I even read it back to him? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
199 Posts
your lucky, I tried to do this to track down my 69 camaro with the insurance co. no luck then tried the state with the plate no. no luck.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My guess of the correct VIN is 9F93S590475. maybe we should play the lottery!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Since you remember it as a 351-2V, I would say it is 9F93H590475. For less than $20.00, you can get a basic Marti report which should provide information to confirm the vin.
http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I don't know how you guys even think the number he listed is a cougar vin at all. My guess is that it's not and the guy at the insurance office got him off the phone by giving him a number.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I don't know how you guys even think the number he listed is a cougar vin at all. My guess is that it's not and the guy at the insurance office got him off the phone by giving him a number.
Jeff,

The number of characters is correct, the A could be a 9, the plant code is correct, the 39 reversed would be correct for an XR7 hardtop, the 590475 is a probable '69 sequence number. The engine code is the most confusing one. If you submit the number to Marti Auto and it is not a valid vin, they will ask for a correction, where if 9F93H590475 is a "good" vin, for less than $20.00 it will give enough basic information to determine if it is the car he is looking for.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Weren't all VIN's back then 11 digits? I know that all vehicles since 1981 are 17 digits. Before that I believe they were all 11 digits or at least domestic anyway.

Anything is possible, Dave, but I'll bet you a shiner bock that this vin has nothing to do with a mercury cougar.

Maybe the poster should call back and get an old declarations page faxed or emailed to him so that he can verify that the info he got over the tele is actually true.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Weren't all VIN's back then 11 digits? I know that all vehicles since 1981 are 17 digits. Before that I believe they were all 11 digits or at least domestic anyway.

Anything is possible, Dave, but I'll bet you a shiner bock that this vin has nothing to do with a mercury cougar.

Maybe the poster should call back and get an old declarations page faxed or emailed to him so that he can verify that the info he got over the tele is actually true.
Jeff,

I think the normal domestic vin prior to the mandated 17 character vin was 13 not 11. I know that my Rebel Machine has 13 as it includes the transmission type and manufacturer in the Vin. But I agree it would not be a bad idea to get the declarations page, or whatever he read the vin off of. I wonder if it was hand written.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts