Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am trying to find out any info on the SS cougars but even tccn hasnt been to much help since there aren't many articles on it. but my big question is will a SS package come with xr7 or were they used only on base models? What were any other things offered i know of the rocker panel moldings stripe down the side and chrome base for the mirror as well as the style wheel covers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The CCOA used to have a page on there site that explained it pretty well, but I cant access it anymore. Yes its based on a standard not XR7 and basically it came as you mentioned. I think it came with the Decore int, and could be had with any engine as well as most other options. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay the reason i am asking is my xr7 has the chrome mirror base as well as the rocker moldings. so i know many people could have changed these out years ago but thought i would ask anyways.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
far as i know.. they came with the rocker mouldings, the "racing" mirror, turbine hubcaps, the stripe and errrrr, i think thats it. that was the base one. there were 4 packages available with it i think.... one was just the base model with those options, the next one had it with the decor interior, the next one had it with the handling package ( i think ) and the last one, which is the rarest, had it with the decor interior and the handling package. i THINK mine falls in that category. i had a link where i got this from at one time... ill try to find it again.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
found it

http://www.geocities.com/classiccougar/sport.html

there, i talked to that guy for a while about it, he gave me some specs and production figures about the Sport Specials. he put the 1 of 204 figure to my car and threw it in the registry. so mine should be listed in there. and although my car does not have the body stripe at the moment, when stripping some of the paint off of it during the paint and body session, yes, it was there. not that i knew what it meant at the time, but i still remember seeing it. contact him and he can probably give you the production numbers. and if you can, post them here for us to see.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have an old friend with a 69 XR7. It has the SS rocker covers. I just noticed them on Sat. He also has a 390 GT engine in it as well.

I'll have to ask him if the rockers were on the car when he bought it...in 1977!!!

Ken

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
SPORTS SPECIAL INFO

You guy's have just about got it. The SS package was just a gimmic to sell more Cougars as many promotional items were. The package consisted of the "turbine style wheel covers" ( also came std. on cyclone CJ's and others in 69); the SS lower rocker moulding ( Cougar only ) , the single pin stripe following the lower body line, and the "sport?racing style mirror with the chrome base. Most had the decore interior but there are a few with the std. interior. No XR-7 was given the SS package. The Sports Special promotion was a spring of 69 promotion.
All engine options were available except the Boss 302. SS cars could have the 351 or 428 performance pkg. that included the power dome hood. (Eliminator hood scoop). Any car could have the performance handling pkg. including the SS pkg. but it was not an SS pkg. reqiured item. :)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys gues its time to start looking for an SS Cat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mines going to be for sale soon. Mine is a original Alabama ss, only the interior has been changed from the original blue so it will never be perfect to the #'s. But the black 70 XR7 seats and door panels are so nice to look at I dont care if its right or not. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it will have to be a far distant soon really. I have the 70 topless cat then 57 tbird the mauseater on my todo list. but one day i would love to get one but already mauseater will eat my brothers bowtie so thats what im looking for and i dont have the headers and 4.11 in the rear yet.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
See what happens when you express your desires here?? Someone will fix you right up!!:) I really want to have another in the garage before it goes anyway. BUT you know the saying about the money talks---- mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
vin or owner card

Is there any way you can tell by the vin or owner card? Is there any identification in the numbers or do you think the Martini Report would pick up on it?:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks, thats the page I had bookmarked that wouldnt open for me anymore. Cougarman, are you sure that only the ss had the chrome base racing mirror? I have seen quite a few on e-bay and mine dosent have a chrome base although I know that dosent mean anything. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
CHROME BASE MIRRORS

What I said is that the SS pkg. featured a chrome base mirror but not exclusively. All XR7's had a chrome base mirror to blend with the chrome weather strip pieces that go across the top of the XR7 doors. Mercury just added the chrome base mirror to the SS pkg. All SS cats had either the decore interior or the std. interior. No XR7's came with the SS pkg.

Of course, there are always exceptions as we all know. Such as the sunroof never being offered in any 69 Cougar brochures or factory sheets yet many 69 cats were ordered with and came with the "German sunroof"..

COUGRRRMAN:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cougarguy I see those mirrors on e-bay all the time. Thats why I didnt think they were exclusive to the SS.

To be honest I prefer the regular base anyway. mm

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
EITHER MIRROR GOOD

I like either mirror. The sport/racing mirror looks good on a Cougar. I also like the SS pkg. as well as an Eliminator pkg. Maybe better..Especially with a 351w performance pkg. that has the hood scoop but not the rear spoiler.. A nice combo..!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts