Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was curious if anyone knows how similiar the Mustang and Cougar frames are for the addition of subframe connectors? I know that there are many things that are identical on the two frames but I am not sure about this. I desperately want to install subframes on my 70 Convertible but am not sure on which ones to buy.. If there was only a Mustang very close to me that I could use as a reference..

Kirk :confused:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cougar subframes

The Cougar is a longer car, thus the connectors have to be for a Cougar. Total Control has ones made for a Cougar convertable. I have one's on my 69 XR-7 hardtop.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bill,

I don't know if that is correct. I added subframe connectors to my '70 convertible last fall (ordered from Mustangs Plus). I think they told me at the time they were the same as for the Mustang. Whatever, they fit.

Steve C.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

If you don't mind give me a few details of yours..Are they Competition Engineering? Did you weld them in or bolt on? What did you pay for them?. Any info is greatly appreciated..

Kirk

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have Competition Engineering connectors on mine. They are the same as the Mustang (in fact I had to order them for a Mustang because they did not list 69 Cougar at the time - with the option to return them if they were wrong). Hardtops are a different number than convertable, but they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Kirk,

I'd have to check the receipt which is not at hand, but the connectors cost somewhere around $200, and were a Total Control Products product (mouth full) purchased from Mustangs Plus. They weld on, after you fit them with a bit of encouragement. It didn't take much encouragement, however. Pretty straightforward.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I stand corrected, their TCP catalog lists the convertible as fitting Mustang & Cougar 1964 - 1970 part# SF kit 1C (weld-in) I would only do the weld-in, as the bolt in can loosen up and don't really do the job. Don't forget to pull the carpet up where your welding though!!

Cougar Bill

·
11,000 Posts
I have Total Control connectors on my green GTE. Nice product, I bolted them on.

Royce

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougars and Mustangs are the same under the skin from the very front all the way back to the frontmost rear leaf spring eyebolt. This info taken directly from the Ford Chassis Manual. From there on back they're different. So, to answer your question, Mustangs and Cougars would use the same subframe connectors.

Of course, you could always make your own weld-ins from square tubing. If you look at mine in the Photo Gallery, I had even recessed them into the rear floorpan so they wouldn't hang down and look dorky like most of the others I've seen.

Now, as for the convertible issue, my buddy Terry is going to be adding the same sort of semi-inletted connector to his 73 Mustang conv't this summer. His car was put together from a real basket case, using the technology we had available at the time twenty years ago. We did replace the inner rockers (the real frame on a conv't) but the car still feels like it is wobbly in the middle. That's why Terry is going to add the frame connectors -- to see if it will rid the car of its jitters/creaks/driving-with-a-broken-leg feeling. He will be going the semi-inletted route since it will tie all of the floor pans, seat reinforcement and both subframes together into one solid integrated unit. Hell, he's got my vote. I can lift one whole side of AlphaCat by putting the floor jack under the middle of the newly-installed frame connector so that has to be adding a good degree of structural integrity in there! It looks like I'm doing NASCAR tire changes on it when I do that now, LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts