Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently bringing a cougar back to original but some specs seem varied. I am looking to bring the interior back to original ( or close to it ). The seats are leather and Dark Ivy Green. When I look on the net, various other components are also Dark Ivy Green, but many have either been partially changed or totally changed to black. Which components are supposed to be the Green colour? So far, roof liner, door panels, handles and armrest, rear side panels are green. How about centre console, lower front panels etc?

Also, I read articles that stated that my version came with a rear spoiler?

The car is a 1969, XR7, 390 with 428 heads ( apparently factory ), light green exterior, white hardtop. The V.i.N. info is correct for colour and engine, as is data plate for interior colour.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Only the Eliminators received rear spoilers from the factory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought.... I guess some people want to stick the rear spoiler on for looks or cloning.... Oddly, I found references to the deck spoiler on XR7 specs on some "expert" websites.. LOL

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sounds like a neat car. CougarCJ is correct that it wouldn't have come with a spoiler from the factory. Its technically possible that one was dealer added, but without documentation, it would be a serious point deduction for judging purposes. Of course, its your car and if originality/judging aren't priorities, you can add whatever you want.
Speaking of documentation, what makes you think your 390 originally came with 428 heads? Not to say its impossible, but it is extraordinarily unlikely, based on my experience.
Does the car have 390, 428CJ or regular passenger car 428 manifolds?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has 428 manifolds ( regular ). Its an odd thing, but a mechanic who specializes in 60's/70's Ford racing pointed it out when I picked up the car. He hadn't even lifted the hood and described the 390 and asked if the car had the 428 heads. Then he said that there were extra mounting holes which were not used when these were mated together with a 390 block ( rare but was done at the factory on occassion. Maybe special order? ). Voila, there were the holes and he confirmed the setup. He had seen this option before from the factory and it was not often done. The V.I.N. is "S" so 390 for sure. California car. As for the spoiler, I do not see any signs of a previous spoiler mounting so I am goining to leave it off. Is there any specific colour detail on the interior?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Typically 390 GT heads have 14 bolt holes drilled for the exhaust manifolds.
428CJ heads will have 16 bolt holes drilled for the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think your mechanic is confusing the 390 GT heads and manifold with the 428. The 390 GT has the extra holes also because the exhaust bolts on different than a regular 390 . All FE heads have the bolt holes straight up&down, there are extra holes in the 390 GT, 428 and 427 in order for the manifold bolts to miss the shock towers.

I guess I got this in a little late!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm with towcat on this one. Most likely confusion between externally similar 390GT and 428CJ style heads. Some pics would help settle the issue.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Huh - I guess/thought that the way to differentiate 390 heads on truck vs car heads was whether the exhaust holes are vertical or horizontal orientation....so they made heads with both then..? I know some of the aftermarket heads are drilled for both.....which is what I will be looking at when I get that far

1 - 10 of 10 Posts