Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a "cougar" script emblem for the left front fender extesion on my 69 XR-7.I have at least 2 extra that can go on the 1/4s.I will trade 2 for 1 e-mail me. Dan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i might have one.. let me look in the magical garage of mystery and ill get back to you tomorrow

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pin size

The pins should be smaller than the ones for the 1/4 panels.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
script hole size

I measured the distance on the holes on the left front fender cap.The distance between the first and the last hole is 3 1/4 inches. Could this be a mercury script? Its an early 69 or is it just a (smaller) cougar script. The cougar scripts I have are all 4 pin.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops!! but and

I found another hole in the fender cap Mystery solved.But I have a total of 5 srcipts.Ou of those 5 only one will work.Its the cougar script with a short (R) at the end.The ones with a (tail) at the end of the (R) fit on the 1/4s now I have 2 left.They are 1/4 emblems and they have a tail on them.1 has 2 pins and the other i a stick on both are metal.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The script with the short curved leg on the "r" is for the left front fender extension. The rear quarters have a long straight leg on the end of the "r".
Did the 69 have a Mercury script on the trunk lid? I can't remember. I know my last one did, but I may have put that there. I don't believe that my current one had one. I know it had the XR7 letters on the right side of the trunk lid.....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are the scripts from '68 and '69 different? I have a whole garage full of them (off of '68s that my dad and I have parted out) back home, and the pins never seemed to line up... is this a quality control issue or are there different pin placements?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Guys I likely have the sorrect fender script with curled "R". The Cougars and Eliminators said Cougar on trunk lid after a certain build date. 69/70s do not say Mercury anywhere. The 69/70 xr7s say xr7 on trunk lid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts