Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got those sexy valve covers but can't find an oil breather to fit. It has about a 2-3 in snout that sticks up. Any ideas? I've contimplated taking the snout off and putting a push on breather, but not sure if it'll fit. Thanks guys/gals

Steve:confused:

·
Registered
488 Posts
the push on is a standard part and can be ordered from any mustang shop. there are a couple of different types based on the emissions and PCV setup. you can get them with a nipple for the breather, without the nipple and vented, or unvented. the NPD catalog they range from $10-$44. hawkrod

·
Registered
201 Posts
John's Classic Cougars (he has a web site) out of Michigan I think deals exclusively in cougars. He has cougar valve covers and air cleaners with the cougar and cougar script. John does not list these on his web site but if you had a copy of his catalogue they are listed there. If possible I think it would be a good idea for us cougar owners to support vendors that deal exclusively with goods for cars we are interested in?

·
Registered
488 Posts
good theory but.... the reality is although i am a friend of johns he did not repop the valve covers. the valve covers were made by scott drake mustang and the truth is most of the good stuff comes from the mustang people who have more assets to make toys for us. we need to support all of the vendors that provide parts for our cars not just places that have cougar in the title. i will give you two prime examples, the first is no longer in business due to the owners passing and that was Stang-it. Stang-it was the foremost supplier of cougar trim and upholstery that there ever has been. Ron owned several cougars and they were his passion. he was an officer in the NCCC after i was President and he started a cougar club in the east bay in Nor Cal. the other example is a cougar place in oklahoma that has cougar in the title but i won't say their name because they have the worst customer service and support on the planet and the owner told me i was stupid when i reproduced the 390 XR7-G air cleaner snorkel for cars with cat valve covers. he didn't care that they were available and that he could add them to his catalog (he never did). he just felt that i was an idiot for making the part available. he has treated so many cougar owners so poorly that the only person i hate bad enough to refer to him is ossama bin laden! hawkrod

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I have both the valve covers and air cleaners in stock if you still need them. I've attached a picture of the air cleaner. John @ Cascade Classics (253) 863-5669:)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Back to the original question

That snout is used for a push on breather as is w/o modification.
I used a push on breather from the local mustang place. It has a straight hose fitting that connects to the stock air cleaner.
If you aren't using a stock air cleaner and want one without a hose fitting they have them as well. All of the Mustang vendors have these breathers.
Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice picture of the valve covers. OK, there seems to be some controversy out there on vendors, so when I put a 351W in my 67 cat who do you guys recommend I deal with to get valve covers, air cleaner etc. I want to support reputable and fair priced outfits, so what experience is out there for these specialty items?

·
11,000 Posts
I think that in your geographical location it would be best for you to deal with John Benoit (Cascade Classics). There are a lot of good vendors but you should consider shipping costs and service. All of the vendors essentially get the parts from the same sources. All have to have similar prices to remain competitive. What seperates them is service and knowledge. Once again you will get those qualities from Mr Benoit.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Dr Cougar,
What's that bad boy air cleaner go for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts