Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Can anyone give me an opinion on the car described below as to the worth/appeal in the Cougar community?
I have no first hand knowledge of these cars but this guy is asking around half the money ($6500) of the
67-68 XR-7 GT equipped cars I’ve seen in similar condition. The owner has been very responsive, up-front
and thoroughly answered all of my questions so far, however, he is 2200 miles away and I am very uneasy
about buying it sight-unseen. He is going to make a video of it this weekend and I’d like to get
suggestions of any critical areas I should see. I want to get an independent inspection/appraisal but
not sure what my options are. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

VIN 65A Y 2Y 25H 54 2W

I'm 2nd owner. Still have original registration and license plate frame. 302, 2bbl, AT, PS,
delux interior, dual exhaust, original sequential turn signals still work, 187K miles, engine rebuilt at
120K +-, rear bumper and trunk lid trim rechormed '00, new window regulators '02, dash removed and bezels
rechromed and all bulbs replaced '02, leaf springs stiffened by adding additional leaf '00, KYB shocks
rear '01, misc. front end work tie rod ends, idler arm, etc. about 4 years ago, engine bay and trunk have
been nicely detailed. I'm probably missing some things I've done but this gives you an idea. The car has
always had excellent care and always been garaged. Has never been owned or chopped up by a kid. Definately
not a hot rod, just a really nice curiser.

The reason I'm selling the car is that I'm retiring in April and selling our home and moving to a much
smaller place and won't have room to keep it. Plus my wife still has her first car and wants to begin a
resortation project on it in the near future.

Here are the pics. Thanks for the interest.

No problem. Glad to provide the info. for you.

1.) VIN 8R91F00405
2.) Don't have original wheels but have the original covers plus a spare. They are
the type with the small flipper in the center with the Mercury head. Not in
bad shape. Could be restored.
3.) Headlight doors both work.
4.) No modifications have been done to the engine or tranny. The original rear end
was overhauled in '02. Bearings and seals. Was making a little noise. Very
quiet now. I believe that was an item I forgot to mention in the last e-mail.
5.) The paint job and upholstry were redone just before I bought the car. The color
is matched as closely as they could get it to the original.door panels and
rear quarter panels have the delux inserts with the standing Cougar. When
they reupholstered they didn't salvage the weave inserts. It is like the standard
interior but nicely done. Nugget Gold as original.
6.) I have receipts for all work that has been done on the car since I have owned it.
7.) I purchased the car in 9/96. Milage was 182,900. Milage now 189,300.
8.) I will try to get some pictures of the engine bay, interior and trunk very soon.
Hopefully this weekend.
9.) I don't know what I could give you as far as a testimonial to the car's
mechanical soundness or value other than my word. I can give you the e-mail
address of a person in Seattle that knows the car. He is quite active in a
Cougar club there. We have been in many shows together. His car is pretty
much a concours car. I'm sure Jeff wouldn't mind responding.

I'll try to get photos this weekend and get them e-mailed to you soon. This car isn't a
concours car but a very nice original in good mechanical condition. Just about all the
work done on the car has been done by the son of the person I purchased the car from.
He knows the car inside and out.

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

I managed to take a few pictures today and will send them. However, I'll do it two at a
time. It takes forever for my computer to send things like that.

I was going thru some invoices last night and discovered some items I had fogotten about.
I installed the Petronix electronic ignition about 4 years ago, carb. rebuilt in '01 and
last spring I replace all the belt line weather stripping.

I will try to get the video made this weekend time and weather permitting.

Here are the first two pictures.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow! Sounds like a really nice driver. You might want to get ahold of "Jeff" and find out what Cougar club he is affiliated to. I'm sure that someone from the board is near this Coug and would be willing to take a look at it for you but if the Cat has been to shows as the owner states then I'm sure that someone here already knows the car and could provide you with some solid feedback about the car. As far as critical areas? It doesn't sound like this Cat is going to have any critical areas! Anyone out there know this Cat?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
sounds like its been taking care of. Neal (badcatt) might know the car too, he's in washington. Could you put a picture of the car in so we can see her.

Rick

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just one thing - you say you are looking for a GT car, and this car is a F - code 302 2v. It is not a 390 S code. That's why the price is lower then what you have been looking at previously. The car sounds very nice, and as long as you're not looking at it as a GT or even an XR7 then everything sounds good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am still looking for a 68 XR-7 GT, however, I was thinking this would be a good stepping stone while I continue to look for one. I'm just want to make sure this car has good appeal when/if I trade up.

Anymore suggestions on how to pull off this deal over such a distance without getting burnt? I'm sure he'll want the money before he lets the car go and I know I'll want the car & title in front of me before I dish out any cash. What's customary?

Thanks again for the help,

Ill try and attach a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
From the photo, it looks like a beautiful car. It sound like he took good care of it. Good Luck!

RayJ
70 XR7

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
well to tell you the truth if your going to spend 6500.00 plus shipping a car the distance i would suggest you spring for the plane ticket and see it up close. taking the redeye is not to expensive and you can do it in a day just my 50 cents worth. and if what your wanting is an S code then hold out for one dont settle.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'll second that cougarguy. When I bought 68 Kat I flew to Dallas after having a couple of guys from the DFW Cats club check out the car. They thought it might have been priced a little high, but definately everything the guy said it was.

I figured worst case scenario I get a warm weather weekend and best case I get a new cat. I had planned to go back to Minnesnowta and then drive back and trailer it home. But it was in good enough mechanical condition that I drove it back instead.

You can buy a car long distance but it is really up to you to do your homework. If you just assume everthing is as the owner tells you - you could be making a mistake. However, it's a mistake you can make with a car that is just down the street too...

Ken

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what a dilemma...

on one hand, based on "Cougar...by the numbers" (which I just received yesterday... very cool), there is nothing that makes this car special or unique, the cost of transporting it will add about 25% to the asking price and I would probably be a lot more motivated to fly out and see it for myself if it WAS a GT. Effectively, this has been a splash of water in the face and THANKS for kicking it around with me, I appreciate it....

on the other hand, I've been seriously looking for around 6 months and so far, this is the best condition cat I've seen for this kind of money. Plus, this guy is making it very easy for me (his video will show up any day now and he's offered to come down some to help pay for the transportation!!). Every indication is that he is for real. He's given me good references of guys in the local Cougar club that know the car too...

who knows???

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
jjsj said:
I've been seriously looking for around 6 months .....
It took me years. Be patient. I looked at so many "rust free" CA cars that weren't. I use those vinyl refrigerator magnets.....they don't stick to bondo. That Cougar looks really nice, I don't care for the Pep Boy chrome hole wheels but that's easily changed.

I've bought and sold a few cars in my 47 years. Most have been local. But I got my Cougar in Colorado and had it trucked for $400 (I think) and my sister's 68 Cougar, from CA to MN was around $800. Transporting shouldn't cost that much (25%?) no more than $1200, the black 69 is costing Jim $700 from CA to FL.

My suggestion is to make a vacation out of it and see more than one Cougar if you can. There's no substitute for seeing them in person. I went out to CO to see it. Flew in, drove down, and gave him a deposit. He too gave me a break on the price because of the trip. He sent the 'pink' and I sent the rest of the money and then had it shipped out.

In 89 I sold a 64 Falcon Sprint conv. to a man in AZ. We were at a T-Bird car show and he made an offer on the spot. We exchanged numbers and he came back a week or two later with 8 grand in cash. I wouldn't recommend THAT, bring a cashiers check/money order for 75% of the value and enough cash for "wiggle room" if there's any left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The "pink" is what Californians call the title to a car. They used to be colored pink several years ago, but not anymore. The name has stuck though.
John ('68 XR7)

·
Registered
61 Posts
i think the "pink" is the title...right tim?

Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work in Fairfield, CA. If anyone's interested in the car Tim B. posted the link to above, I could try to take a look at it for you. I don't think I've ever seen it around here though.
John ('68XR7)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Come On!
You guys haven't heard the Beach Boys song lil deuce coupe? It goes somrthing like "One more thing I got the Pink slip daddy!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts