Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK
I need a simple MERCURY script emblem for Tiffany';s front fender. I have been calling around and surfing the I-net and the going price seems to be $50.00 for used or repo and $120.00 for NOS!!!!!! I was at the local Moosetang place and they get the same script that says Moostang for $12.50.... Holy Sheep Sh*T!!!!
I know our parts are rarer but ... the same emblem goes on a bunch of different mercs.......GIMME A BRAKE!!!

Venting

Don:angryfi: :angryfi: :angryfi: :cry:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wait till swap meet season if you can and maybe you or one of us will find what you need for less or even find one at a junk yard for you. :)

The swap meets I've attended always seem to have a vendor or two who deal in nothing but emblems.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
oh, i posted in the shout box already but here we go again lol. i might have one or two lying around. email me Don and ill send ya pics. [email protected]

·
Registered
138 Posts
I looked around for you because I've seen them cheaper than $50. Repros from Autokrafters are $39.95, Cascade Classics $30, and I swear I saw them in Johns Classic Cougar catalog for $24.95. Don't quote me on that, I'll have to look at my catalog when I get home tonight. In any case, I feel your pain! I've paid way too much for the parts I've bought, way more than the car will be worth when I'm done. But hey, it was my first car so I owe her for leaving her sitting outside for 12 years! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Found one on Ebay about 6 months ago for $15 brand new. No one else bid on it. I got it. Keep looking.........

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the one from Autokrafters and I returned it today. It said it was for a 67-68 but in reality it was for 71-73. They are different. The 71-73 one is bigger and the pin arrangement is different as is the pin size... I was bummed... Anyway the autocrafter part number (C7) is wrong should be (D1) John's was out. there is one for $ 40 at sunman classic ford... But it's hard just by looking at a picture if it's the right one...

Steve you will have mail

Don

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
NOS Ford

Not sure about the year.
D14Y-6242528-AA

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
D1 = 1971
D= 70's
C= 60's
E= 80's and so on.........

I hear thee Don. It seems that what I think is going to be a easy find turns out to be a frustrating mess.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks! I learned something today.;)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah really... If I knew it was gonna this much if a PITA I would have tried to salvage the old one that was glued on....

Don

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Don, and to think I cut all of the pins off my emblems and stuck them all on with double-faced bodyman's foam tape. I even brazed all of the holes shut. I didn't want any place for the rust to start again! We have to deal with that annoyance here in the RustBelt!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREAT HORNY TOADS!!!!! I just learned something.... After looking at redcat's... the front and back are different sizes... i didn't know that.. I thought they were the same! The trunk one is bigger! So the one from autocrafters would have probably worked for the decklid.... here are the Part numbers

Front C7WB-16098-A
TRUNK C7MB-8835?-A

Looks like Cascade Classics has it right.....or at least the most correct.......

You know... This could be easier...LOL

Where's Royce when you need him? JK JK
Don

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Don, got the front emblem off and yeah, its smaller than the other one i have. the pins arent in the same spots either anbd your part number is right for the front one. BUT, it is tarnished a bit and i dont think its what you are looking for. unless you wanted to get it rechromed. it does have all of the tabs in tact and i saved the weird stamped steel retainer/nut things on the back.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
heres a pic of tehm both. bottom one is the front extension emblem.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Worth a try....

Hey Texrep....not sure if he can help you out but Ray Harwood may have something kicking around that might be the right one.

Just a thought...

Dale

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve,
THAT"S what I'm talkin' 'bout.... I think alot of the venders don't know the difference. and the retainers on the sharky are not stock. They should have barrel thingys not sheet metal retainers.

Thanks anyway... I'll find one.... Also thanks Dale I'll check Ray out''

WHO Knew!!!!

Don

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tell me about it

Don,

It could be worse -- you could have one of the less-popular year Cats where they don't have repro parts... j/k ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Milo

Yep, we have to buy parts cars to get our parts.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey Folks,
I am planning to strip all of the chrome script off of my Cougar. I will try to have it with me when I go to the Swap meet on Apr.5th.
Does anyone know where to get a trunk lock and cover. Mine was popped out before I got it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts