Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum! New here, but not to Cougars (owned one in one form or another for 25+ years). I am currently in the process of "back-halfing" a '69 Cougar base coupe that I'm going to do various custom touches to... I've done some serious research on this question but I wanted to see if anyone here had some insights:

I know that from the rear torqueboxes forward, the Cougar and Mustang match as far as frame/pan configuration. I have the Jim Osborne copy of the "Weld and Sealant Manual" for the '70 Cougar that shows the base unibody chassis for these cars and lists the part numbers for the different pieces (lists both "WB" (Cougar) and "ZB" (Mustang)). It's not extremely clear graphically what the individual pieces are. I was hoping someone who has done extensive work on these cars from the rear seat riser back would have some knowledge they'd like to share. My reason for this query is now that they have all the pan, over-the-axle and trunk floor panels repopped for Mustangs, how much, if any of this stuff will work? I'm assuming not very much, but how much modification would be required on any of it to make it work? I'd love to use as much new metal as possible in this project... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any reason my signature didn't show up above?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think the new piece over the axle, should be the same, but the trunk floor would be different because the drop-offs are different between the mus. and cougar. There are cougar drop-offs available.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The only input I have is that the mustang truck floors will not fit-been there. Slight modification my a$$!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts