Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home two 68 cougars today for the unfortunate purposes of parting out. Someone else robbed alot off these but I will be finishing them off. One is an XR7 and one is a standard.
If allowed, I am enclosing two photos.....one is of a power antennae bolted to the copper cougar...are those rare because I didn't even know they offered them on cougars?
Also, the XR7 has a maroon interior,pretty decent except seat covers on the front buckets and the oddest looking console is in it. It doesn't appear to be a factory console, but it looks like it fit okay, although the shifter has a humped up area like on the XR7G consoles. Just hoping you can help clear this up, anyone?
Thanks.........Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
The console looks like a later model one that had the emergency brake handle mounted to the floor.

·
11,000 Posts
Power antenna was a dealer installed option in 1968. If so equipped the antenna would mount in the right rear quarter panel and there would not be a hole in the right front fender. You should be able to see a Fomoco part number on the unit, I believe it is a C6ZZ prefix but would have to dig through some original literature to be sure.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks royce.....still wondering?......

Royce,
I was hoping you'd answer.......I have to wonder why it is attached to right front fender, maybe a non dealer installed power antennae? I'll try and find part number on it.
Did you have any attempt at what the console is from? You can't see in the photo but laying on passenger seat is the plastic slider that has each gear window on it from the normal XR7 shifter with normal console. I don't understand why anyone would change to that console when you'd have to change shifter as well. At least I am correct in assuming all XR7's in 68 had the floor console and clock? Thanks again...Keith

·
11,000 Posts
No, the console was optional in 1968 XR-7's. My blue GTE did not originally have one which allowed installation of the dealer supplied Fomoco 8 track tape unit to the hump.

That antenna does not look like a Ford unit in the pictures, it looks like a Kraco or Audiovox unit from the late 1970's. I used to install those on my Cougars because that way I didn't have to cut antenna holes in my car cover.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Does the fender need to be removed to install the powered antenna? Or is it accessible from the bottom side (I didn't think it was...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts