Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit, wife just brought home a stray cat. Well I'm going to name it.
What are the names of the two Cougar mascots ? I can't remember.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I thought one was Chauncy? I didn't know there were two..

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Chauncey, and Esmerelda?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Cool. I'm going to have some fun with that one. I'm going to tell my oldest he's named after the cougar, (Christopher)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I don't ever remember seeing any commercials w/ a bobcat in them? Kinda hard to make a Pinto cool I suppose....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh, Bad69cat...I don't know about that! Check this out. I owned this stellar example of '70s paint on performance for about 5 years.

77Bobcat11941a.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
They used to sing the "Mercury Bobcat" and it sure got on your nerves after a while :lol:
I remember seeing the bobcat on TV

Jean

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had a Bobcat (actually two) back in the late '80s. One was a '79 and the other was '80. '79 was more decked out and had no rust, but bad head on the 2.3L so I pulled the head off the '80 and that was that. I paid $200 for both cars as a 'package deal', got $40 for scrap for the '80 hulk, so $160 for a running car isn't so bad. Oh, and the '79 was the same bright orange as Dennis's but was a hatchback with the somewhat rare all-glass hatch (no hatch frame). I drove it a year or so before giving it to a buddy for his younger brother...

Oh, and who says Pintos can't look cool?

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td height="3">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td span="" class="point12v" align="left" valign="top"> Chauncey the Cougar - The sleek and powerful snarling beast used as the mascot and "spokescat" for the Mercury Cougar, a flashy 1967 model, two-door hardtop automobile introduced by the Lincoln-Mercury division of the Ford Motor Company on Sept. 30, 1966. Born in 1964, Chauncey was raised in a domestic setting by trainer Ted Denby and rented from Animal World in California. Reportedly, the big cat had a bad hip and so it couldn't jump very far but his snarl was captivating and essential for the advertising spots.
Other cougars used in the Sign of the Cat TV commercials were Christopher, Jimmy and Frisky. Frisky was owned by George Toth who kept mountain lions and other animals on his 32 acre Cougar Hill Ranch in California.
The Cougar advertising campaign was created by Gayle Warnock, the Public Relations Director for Ford Motor Company and his right-hand man, Bill Peacock. Chauncey Cougar won a P.A.T.S.Y. Award in 1969.
</td></tr></tbody></table>source: http://www.tvacres.com/cats_cougars_chauncey.htm

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input all.
Turns out the neighbor of the tennant that let the cat loose to fend for itself knew it's name to be Milo. So it makes sense to keep it.
Though right now it's up in the air wether or not we're even keeping the cat. He's not getting along too well with the dog as of right now. We're going to give it maybe a week to see if relations improve. If they don't I think my mother-in-law will take him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts