Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a Cougar owner, but as a 66 Mustang owner, I can really appreciate your rides.....:)

I posed this question to a Mustang forum that I participate in, but came up with no definitive answers. I thought I'd throw it out here to all of you experts and see if you all can help.

I've upgraded the headlights in my car to aftermarket NPD xenon lights. They run at 55 watts and are a bit taxing on the stock 12 amp headlight switch. I've heard (and this is where I could use the help) that the 67 Cougar headlight switch is either identical to or very similar to that of the 66 Mustang, with the exception that it has a 20 amp fuse (again, I think this is correct, but not sure).

Can anyone comment if that's correct? Though the wiring can handle it, the switch is taking a bit of a beating (lights surge a bit) and I think the Cougar switch with it's 20 amp fuse would remedy the problem.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The Cougars have vacuum activated headlight covers that are activated via the headlight switch. Whether or not the electrical part of the switch is seperate I do not know. However.... Cougar owners have the sam eproblems (over heated wiring, high current draw, tripped breakers) when we switch to the newer, brighter headlamp bulbs. The solution is to wire your headlights from the batery via a relay. The stock switch and wiring trip the relay which is fed directly from the battery and through the relay to the headlights - also through a heavier gauge wire. The Classic Cougar Network did a great article on this in their Tech Tips section a while back. No reason why it shouldn't work for the Mustangs as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts