Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another discovery for me recently was the fact that "landau bars" or "body side ornaments" were actually available as an accessory for the 69 Cougar. This info comes direct from my mint 1969 accessories brochure. It shows a picture of them mounted on the pillar of a 1969 Cougar and describes it as bright chrome with woodgrain applique in the center. Part # C8ZZ-65517C24-A.
There was a discussion previously about such "bars" and I remember commenting that there was never such a thing for Cougar. WOW was I wrong. You can learn something new about our Cougar most every day. I have never seen an original piece or set on a 69 or 70 Cougar but would love to one day. Must be a real rarity to have an NOS pair or have them mounted on the car.
Something to look for in the world of "Cougar".

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does it say anything about moldings that go on the swoop down the sides of the car? I have seen several pics that way and makes it stand out better. Thanks, Scott

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Brad There is a gold 69 coupe in Brisbane with landau bars on the roof. I always thought they were off a T-bird. I need to have a look next it next time I see it. Unfortunately I don't know ehere it lives

·
Registered
120 Posts
side molding

69CATTER said:
Does it say anything about moldings that go on the swoop down the sides of the car? I have seen several pics that way and makes it stand out better. Thanks, Scott

I picked up a 70 xr7 with the molding running down the sides of the car and was wondering if it was factory installed or dealer option?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know and looking at all my factory brochures, accessories book, and manuals; there never was any "factory" trim pieces or dent guards running down the sides of the 69/70 Cougars following the body lines. These trim giards are an aftermarket non original item. They can make the car look good but are not a factory or dealer installed item. It's a personal choice.
But the afore mentioned "landau bars" or "side trim" pieces were a factory offered accessory and dealer installed.
C-MAN.......

·
Registered
488 Posts
there definitely was body side moulding for any ford product. it was a rotunda/autolite accessory and the dealers use raw stock to install it. it consists of an aluminum channel with different shaped chrome ends and a rubber strip that installs in the channel after it is riveted to the side of the car. if memory serves me correctly it had a C1RZ or C2RZ part number (been a long LONG time since i worked for LM!). this stuff was available at any ford dealer and was installed on thousands of cars before delivery. hawkrod

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have seen the body side channels and inserted rubber trim. I do know that dealers did put it on some cars. Ford even sold tissue paper and dispensers, etc. but as far as a listed "accessory" and being published in any and all literature of the "period", there were no side body trims that I have ever seen. But I read lots of Mercury and Cougar things so I will continue looking at that. There were alot of anomalies on the assembly line and at many dealers across the country. This has been attested to several times over the years.
So, I keep reading and researching. Love those COUGARS....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Rotunda/Autolite accessories are listed in seperate catalogs and were sold strictly as a dealer add on but they are considered correct for any judging including MCA gold. the parts were meant specifically for dealer sale to pad the ticket and they tended to be high margin items like tissue dispensers and trash cans. i have several NOS parts waiting for my XR7-G including an expanding rod to hang clothes on in the back (hangs from the coat hooks) and mudflaps. the Rotunda line was seperate and the parts do not show in anything but Rotunda literature but the parts were sold for most product lines. some parts were vehicle specific like luggage racks and other parts were generic and would fit any vehicle. my mudflaps have a C8ZZ part number and they were listed for mustang and cougar and the clothes rod has a C4RZ number and were for anything. hawkrod

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
OK Couple things I have an NOS set of the Landau bars still in box. I was told they are worth $400 US by a well known restorer in Cougarland. Kit has the template for Cougar and template for Mustang
The body side mldgs were available as RPO and I have seen the original factory non dealer ones installed on a car here. I have a few pieces of the original dent trim here still in a box. The factory ones have studs and holes for studs in body. The dealer stuff is stick on.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. Post a pic if you can so we can all see this real Cougar rarity.
Interesting what stuff comes up. And it is really neat to find these things. I have never seen a Cougar with the landau bars installed but there is always a first for everything.
C-MAN.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts