Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so who has done (or knows of where to get) a "Cougar-ized" Grant horn button?

I am thinking the Mercury Man on a black background or the Walking Cat with "COUGAR" under it (like the NOS wheel cap decals WCCC is selling).

- Anyone have a graphic file for either?
- Anyone made something?
- Willing to make me one or provide a little detail about the process?
- Anyone gone the wheel center cap as a starting point for the middle?

I took apart an old Grant GT button and see how the brass cone which makes up part of the switch could be taken out and a new graphic inserted and the button re-assembled. Not sure how the current Grant buttons are made, they are not exactly the same but might be similar. Maybe buy another stock Grant one for a guinea pig and get the center I want to put in it.

Long and short of it is I put the nice Grant 1170 I had bought previously on the car while the restored rimblow was back at Best In Show having the mylar banding repaired. As I thought I might, I like the Grant much better, smaller diameter and fatter rim are much more enjoyable to drive. Now, I want a better horn button (well as good as a small center button horn can get anyway).

Help an ECI out, would 'ya?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
bob, i had a feeling that was going to be your final answer! i dont know myself, i have one i am going toplay with too. have not got that far. the newer buttoons do however come apart rather easy

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I figure this should do nicely with an AC block-off walking cat attached.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i machined up a thinwalled aluminum "cup" that i attached to the grant horn button with a 6-32 screw (countersunk into the bottom of the cup)i then ordered a walking cougar mag wheel center emblem fom don @wccc and simply stuck it in the recess of the cup
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i machined up a thinwalled aluminum "cup" that i attached to the grant horn button with a 6-32 screw (countersunk into the bottom of the cup)i then ordered a walking cougar mag wheel center emblem fom don @wccc and simply stuck it in the recess of the cup
doctordesoto
Interesting, although machining up a cup might be beyond the tools I have at my disposal! Got any pictures? If yes, do I recall correctly that posting pictures might be an issue for you (no offense), if so could a buddy post them?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Closest thing I saw a few years back in the Grant catalog was a late-model Mercury stylized "M" logo horn button.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Closest thing I saw a few years back in the Grant catalog was a late-model Mercury stylized "M" logo horn button.
The M "waterfall" thingie? Yep, they still sell 'em (and have less than zero appeal to me).

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I took the xr7 emblem out of a beat up 69 delux wheel, cut the three mounting tabs off of it, shaped the back to fit, re-did a little black on the "gear" of the emblem and glued it to the center of the grant horn button. The emblem is a little thick, about a 1/4 inch, therefore sitting a little high, but you could sand off half of the plastic on top and re buff/polish to get a nicer look.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the xr7 emblem out of a beat up 69 delux wheel, cut the three mounting tabs off of it, shaped the back to fit, re-did a little black on the "gear" of the emblem and glued it to the center of the grant horn button. The emblem is a little thick, about a 1/4 inch, therefore sitting a little high, but you could sand off half of the plastic on top and re buff/polish to get a nicer look.
Have you been snooping at the pieces/parts laying next to my computer at home yelo? LOL. I thought of and took a few first looks at exactly what you are talking about. I will try the AC block-off cat on the button I posted and see what I think, but the XR7 rimblow bezel emblem is close behind in the favored approach running! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Bob, here's the center I made for my china version of the grant wood wheel. The original cap was chrome. I sanded it and shot it with krinkle kote, added a chrome bezel from an old alarm clock and glued on a cougar hat pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Have you been snooping at the pieces/parts laying next to my computer at home yelo? LOL. I thought of and took a few first looks at exactly what you are talking about. I will try the AC block-off cat on the button I posted and see what I think, but the XR7 rimblow bezel emblem is close behind in the favored approach running! Thanks.
Not my post but I did something similar several years ago to the center button on a Ford three-spoke Sport steering wheel like this one:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the good posts/ideas guys.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1969xr7vert---try an an advanced search @ mrs.doctordesoto------you will see the horn button in a 67 pod on an unknown wheel---it was somebodys factory wheel as it had a splined hub that i removed and went to a three hole pattern
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1969xr7vert---try an an advanced search @ mrs.doctordesoto------you will see the horn button in a 67 pod on an unknown wheel---it was somebodys factory wheel as it had a splined hub that i removed and went to a three hole pattern
doctordesoto
Doc,

Wasn't sure what/where you were talking about, but think I found it:

Looks good!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
yes--thats the one--the outter edge of the emblem is also silver--the lip of the retaining cup is .030 wide--if one wanted , one could do the cup in black or interior color
doctordesoto

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know you were thinking walking cat...take a look at these and see if they look too modern.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCURY-COUGAR-GRILL-TRUNK-HORN-ORNAMENT-EMBLEM-G-C-/400234798170?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2fda5c5a

Look at the little one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980S-90S-MERCURY-COUGAR-METAL-1-75-ROOF-EMBLEMS-/300545444078?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f9e788ee

This is about the right size to affix over the black center horn button. I was looking into this for a grant billet aluminum horn button. The second one might look good on this horn button.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grant-Horn-Button-5870-/330594692934?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf8faaf46

The black one has a nice texture inside the black paint that is kinda like a leather or camera case finish. These examples are in rough shape. I have a NOS one if you want me to post a better picture.

You have to be okay with the thundercats version of the logo though.

I ended up doing a momo wood wheel.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
another possibility is a walking cat chrome emblem from a late model (mid 80's) cougar with a vinyl roof---don supplied one that fit the trunk lock cover on or 67
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
another possibility is a walking cat chrome emblem from a late model (mid 80's) cougar with a vinyl roof---don supplied one that fit the trunk lock cover on or 67
doctordesoto
Too big for a Grant button, but "purrfect" for my Cobra disk brake calipers (and the Mrs. trunk lock cover).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not my post but I did something similar several years ago to the center button on a Ford three-spoke Sport steering wheel like this one:

i did the same on my comet, ended up grafting in a mercury head from a hub cap.. turned out awesome

1 - 20 of 63 Posts