Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the movie Heat last night on DVD. It's one of my favorite movies and it took me forever to finally replace my worn out VHS copy of it. Anyhow...during the big shoot out scence on the streets there's a red 67/68 Cougar in the background. Looks like everything around it is getting sprayed by bullets, but the classic cat is unharmed. :p:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
JAMES BOND COUGAR

Oh yes, yes. For all true cougar fans the "James Bond On her Majestys Secret Service" (ohmss) is a must have in your collection of cougar memorbilia.!
I have an unopened original video cassette, a new DVD, one of the original Corgi Rockets cougar cars with the correct yellow skis attached, and several of the new Johnny Lightening OHMSS cars (unopened mint) including one with the White LIghtening wheels.. Just some super cool cougar stuff. One of the original 69 428cj cars used in the movie has been found in a wrecking yard in England and has been under restoation for a while now. I think there was something like 12 428cj ram air 69 red convertibles used in the making of the movie. Very cool. I have been waiting to see the remaining restored James Bond OHMSS car at a cougar national event. I would drive quite a way's to see that car!!!:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
There's another movie called Desperate Hours (1990 remake of a 1955 classic) which stars Mickey Rourke and Anthony Hopkins. MR escapes from jail and flees the scene with his brother and a friend in a primered 67 or 68 Cougar. The car is in the first 20 minutes of the movie and gets some decent screen time until it's dumped in the lake in favor of a shiny Jaguar. :cry:

Not a great movie, in fact it's all down hill after they dump the Cougar in the lake.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
there is a 68 in dirty work as well that the college kids who beet the guy up are driving and dont forget dusk till dawn

·
Registered
163 Posts
There was an episode of The Pretender in which there were actually two black Cougars. One was a 71 - 73 (not familiar enough to be certain which exact year) which the main character was driving down a winding hill. Some sniper takes a few shots, he looses control and the car goes off the edge of the hill and rolls. My jaw dropped with complete disbelief as the car which actually went off the hill wasn't the same one in the previous shot - though I only saw it for a split second I'm positive it was a 67/68, also black. It's poor enough taste to run a Cougar off the edge of a hill, but worse yet to assume the viewers aren't going to notice it's two seperate model years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
there is also a 69 (i believe) in the movie E.T. . it is parked on the left side of the screen when the kids are on their bikes running from the scientists.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can find old re-runs of the TV show Dukes of Hazzard they used 67-68's for disposables. :eek2: often letting them run off cliffs
:angryfi:

·
Registered
118 Posts
try this one

remember "the fall guy" at the begenning there is a car going over the cliff, if i am not mistaken it is a 69 or 70 convert. broke my hart every time i watched it

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can think of two "chick" type flicks with classic Cougars.
The Icestorm starring Sigourny Weaver and Kevin Kline
is supposed to have one, but I sat through this depressing movie
and didn't see it!
Also, Deadly Medicine starring Veronica Hamel as a doctor
wrongly accused of poisoning her patients has a nice
67 or so Cougar she drives around. THAT car I did see!

:zap:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another movie role the cougar played in was "from dusk till dawn" with George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino, i believe it was a 68. It was in the first part of the movie and then, as usual, i think it got blown up.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougars in TV series

In the TV series Highlander, just about every alley/parking lot/courtyard scene had what looked to be a 71-73 'vert. Always at night, but I'd know that shape anywhere. The car was some dark color, possibly black with a black conv't top (always up).

It used to be a game to play 'spot the Cougar' in just about every episode that was filmed in Vancouver.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
THE FALL GUY SERIES

Yes, You're right 69rgtop. It was a baby blue 69 convertible with white interior and it looked mint or at least something we all would be very proud of. For the opening credits for the series; they would drive it towards a cliff and then "Lee Majors" would stand up in the car ( the top is completely down) and grab onto a rope or something hanging from a helicopter and be pulled up and away to safety. Guess what happens to the beautiful cougar???
over the cliff it goes and they even keep the camera on it for a second or two so we can all see it actually hit the rocks below and break up into a thousand pieces. Very sad to see. I hate to think of all the fine cougars that have been wrecked or completely destroyed for the film industry.. :(

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
thye could care less about cars as shown in Fast and the furious. One of my dads club members (tri five club) loaned his wonderfull 56 to a studio for shooting. its a good thing he was an early riser as he got there just as they were getting ready to drill holes in his hood and quarter to mount a camera tri pod to. If life was fair the movie industry would al be behind bars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They used mine in the movie "almost famous" but i never saw it and obviously no one else did either. i guess they didn't want it showing up the other cars so it ended up on the cutting room floor (cougars being scene stealers and all) so it was "almost famous"

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm, not that i actually watch these kinds of music videos... but in an NSync video they dance on top of some old cars, and it makes me cringe when i see the hoods buckle under them as they like hop around and dance on them. id be royally pissed if that happened to my car. and im sorry, i like Boss 302 Stangs, but that T bucket would have kicked its ass in real life

·
Registered
110 Posts
my dads friend has a bunch of 55-56 vickeys and crown vickeys in his feild. so when a movie company called they needed some "period cars" so he took a few of them to his body shop, painted them and then took them to the movie set were they were destroyed on a crash scene. Oh well they had soo much rust it would take a fortune to restore them. I live in Washington so rust is kinda comen, at least in the northwest reagon.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
anyone remmber the show on tooltime where they dropped the pipe on a 57 nomad? I work with the guy who owned it. dont get to upset after all it was a chevy but on camera it looked good but really it was beyond restoration so much plastic i was supprised it didn't shatter. but the kewl part was victor got to keep it after they paid him a hefty sum to rent it and he got to keep all the parts left over that they rechromed and made right for the show spot. It wasnt tims actual 57 which i gues sometimes they do make good judgment calls but still......

·
Registered
179 Posts
That was my Cougar in Dusk till Dawn, they didn't trash it they just abandened it at the hotel. You do have to keep a eye on them when they use it in a movie, they didn't trash mine but they did put some scratches on it. They did pay me more for paint then I spent painting it. Remember that to them it is just another prop, no different then a hammer, tree, furnature or fixtures. What the hell at least my car got it's 10 minutes of fame!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts