Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the Detroit Autorama this year, and found something interesting in the basement. (The best stuff really is downstairs if any of you ever go...)

Anyway, I thought I'd share...

DSCF0309.jpg DSCF0307.jpg DSCF0306.jpg DSCF0305.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks for posting Andy, especially the close-ups of the signs.

Cougar II was built on Cobra chassis CSX2008.

Here is a factory Ford photo that I have, plus the verbiage that is on the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had just heard a few weeks ago that one of the Cougar II's was kept by the Detroit Historical Society museum, and I was thinking about trying to find it to take a look. I was taken totally by surprise to see it downstairs at the Autorama. It was almost hidden at the very back, one of the last cars I saw. It would have been very easy to miss.

I wish I had taken some better pictures, but I was tired, and the group I was with was definitely ready to go after 6 hours of walking around looking at cars.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
VERY Cool! Thanks for posting all the info.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It was almost hidden at the very back, one of the last cars I saw. It would have been very easy to miss.
Yep, I missed it... actually I saw it parked there but nothing about it drew me in for a closer look. I thought it was a Jag. Now I wish I would have. Thanks for posting up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love that cat!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was there as well and saw the cougar II. For the life of me I could not figure out why it was down stairs and not up stairs, It was worthy of that. I didn't spend much time looking at it since after 9 hours of walking, It was time to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen it in pictures and i think they made a model too didn't they? It would definately be neat to see in person. jelous!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Seems a bit nose high but I bet it would sell even now.

·
11,000 Posts
The color is Pomegranite metallic - Henry Ford II's favorite color. Same color as the XR7-S show car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I thought it was a Jag.
That is quite understandeable. There are some certain hues of an XK-E, most notably the rear wheel wells and centered dual exhaust tips. Other than that, I see some hazy similarities to a corvette C2 (profile shot) and early barracuda rear window. Center section of the front - I dunno, toronado is coming to my mind? Definitely a car that is as beautiful and interesting as it is unusual and odd.

I really dig the red candy color!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Andy, thanks for posting the photos. I didn't know the car still existed. It's very cool!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I missed it... actually I saw it parked there but nothing about it drew me in for a closer look. I thought it was a Jag. Now I wish I would have. Thanks for posting up.
Well, there was a Jag down there, cleverly disguised as some sort of pick-up...

DSCF0302.jpg DSCF0301.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts