Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the high back seats for the '70 also the same high back seat for the 71-73's just in a different wrapper? I know I can use '70 Mustang seats and recover but wasn't sure if/or what changes I would have to go thru to recover 71-73 seats to look like '70. Hope that makes sense...

If I can use the framing from the 71-73 and recover it might make life easier. HA!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Unfortunately, '71-'73 seat frames are completely different from '69-'70 high backs. Whether they are "close enough" that the earlier upholstery sets could be adapted to work, I don't know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am putting post-1970 seats into a 1970 Cougar. The car came to us as a mash-up of components from various years, so this isn't as bad an abomination as it may sound, and the seats are in exquisite shape.
The bolt pattern for attaching seats to rails is slightly different. Up thru 1970 the rails were "flat", with the seat tilt provided by the seat riser (welded to floor pan). From 1971 on, at least part of the seat tilt is provided by the rails. So, I plan to mount the post-70 seats to the 1970 rails.

The side-to-side spacing of mounting holes is the same, but front-to-back is different. My solution is to simply drill another set of rear mounting holes in the seat frame, and weld a nut in place at each hole.

The seat heights are the same, fortunately.

I haven't done this yet, but I'm finishing up floor pans/seat riser this weekend, and seats are next on the agenda.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts