Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the winter coming up I've decided to retire my Cougar from daily driver to fair weather driver.

So I need another vehicle and I've pretty much decided that I want a 1961 to 1966 Ford truck. (alternative choice is 1967 to 1972 Ford truck)

Sorta like this

Do any of you guys have any insight on these old trucks?

I don't need another hot rod just some transportation, of course having a truck will be useful for hauling crap.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is that a F100, not to clued up on USA ones, but it looks like an SA one, thats on our list for 'next to buy and do up", I've seen some really cool ones on the net. I would go for it, but do it up a bit, mag wheels [like the ones in the pic], cool paint job, etc. Plus as you say its good for hauling crap. There is one here thats been converted into a sort of camper, great for hauling kids as well. And you get to look down on everyone else. What do they go for your side, they sell here for about US$1000-1600.

Took this picture the other day, its a double cab.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Ooops, here it is.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats a 1966 F100 and they sell for about $500 to $1500 here in the states for beaters and more for restomods or well preserved.

That one in the pic is really sharp looking with those Cragars and I would want to do some restoration and/or modifications later on after my Cougar is a little more dialed in. :D

And I do need to haul crap from time to time as well. :p:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What size engines do those F100's take, still want to get my hands on that 460 but have been put off by the thought of 1. the work involved and 2. the sight of my ranchero nose down with her tail in the air.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
whoah... me like those trucks.....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
whoah... me like those trucks.....
Hope the rear end is not too saggy and out of proportion for you.:D

·
Registered
889 Posts
they work well

I have a cousin who has 2 1950 crestliners.He got hold of a 1965 ford pick-up.He put a rebuilt 390 in it and pulls his cars around to shows.hes had it for 10 years now.He luvs it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My dad is giving me his 1969 F250 Ranger with "camper special" option this November. Kind of a long story, so I'll spare the details... It has a rebuilt 390, and everything mechanical has been replaced. I mean, everything. The body isn't too hot, but hey, my momma taught me "don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth"!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ronzoni,
That's cool getting a FREE C/S with a 390!
Is that 390 the same as the one that came in Cougars?
Is the C/S an auto or manual transmission?

I smell an engine swap coming :ylsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't think that it hasn't crossed my mind... I think the shock towers are wrong in my small block 68 std for that big thing.

What are you doing to "prep" the Cougar for the Big Sleep?? Like the gas/tank mainly. I don't want to go through what I did last fall when I bought my car... had 15 year old gas in the tank... Some kind of gas additive do it? Put the car up on stands to prevent flat spotting the tires?? Any info would be helpful to me and I'm sure many others.

Ron.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Prepping the Cougar for the big sleep...hrrmmm, good question.

It will only be for a few months so I don't think I need to do to much prep work. Right now the plan is to purchase a car cover to hide it from old man winter. If all goes well I'll build a car port next to the house and store it there but I intend to work on it thru the winter so it will be in and out of the shops and in various states of repair.

It's not going to be a deep sleep, I just want to save it for the nice weather and try to focus my time and money on working on the car so it will one day be a real performer and cruise'in show worthy. :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use a bottle of gas stableizer if the rig will not be run more than a couple of months. I winter here any empty space results in water condensation and a hard time getting it going again. We get lots of snow plus below zero temps at times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts