Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my cougar for going on almost 3 yrs now. In that time in my pursuit of more power and kick I've changed the carburetor, added dual electric cooling fans, installed aluminum heads with an electronic ignition and had to replace my 3spd C4 trans with an AOD after I blew the C4.

Still my car had no oomph or noticeable kickdown like the C4 trans gave me. After spending all that money, well over $8k (which I don't regret, btw) I finally found out what the real problem was.

It turns out that along the line of my car being worked on, someone installed the distributor wrong and retarded the timing by about 6 or 7 degrees. This was missed by two other shops that I took my car in for work. My car would surge at stop lights and when I gave it gas to go on the green light it would sometimes die on me.

Frustrated, I went back to a trusted shop I used years ago and now the cat is running better than ever. The car is scary fun to drive now, so scary that my wife is refusing to set foot in it again until I get a set of shoulder belts that I've been putting off buying for so long. I have to get em soon too because I'm scheduled to drive it in a parade in Iowa this coming May.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can get a set of lap and shoulder belts for a base 69 Cougar? Thanks, Martin.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Glad you got your power back in your car - much more fun now, huh!

For belts/shoulder harness, probably any Cougar (or Mustnag) vendor can help you. I'm sure Don has some at WCCC. ( linky here )

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
What parade in Iowa? This subject came up a few years ago - I think you can find Ray's post on some modern type seatblets that fit very nice....I'll dig around, but the search functions have been less that stellar anymore....

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Remember that the 'correct' belts for your year had a detachable shoulder belt. Those early style belts/harness were a PITA if you had to change the radio station or turn on the wipers while driving since they were not inertia-reel.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
What parade in Iowa? This subject came up a few years ago - I think you can find Ray's post on some modern type seatblets that fit very nice....I'll dig around, but the search functions have been less that stellar anymore....

Think it was these guys..? : http://www.andoauto.com/

·
Registered
442 Posts
Remember that the 'correct' belts for your year had a detachable shoulder belt. Those early style belts/harness were a PITA if you had to change the radio station or turn on the wipers while driving since they were not inertia-reel.
I have a set of FOMOCO belts that came from my 71 XR7 that are the same as the 70 model. They are dirty and a little pitted, color black. The lap belt is retractable and all of the covers are there. Currently they are in storage but will get some pics if you are interested. Looking for $125.00 for the set SalD

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the help. I found a set at seatbelts plus, they were easy to put in and I didn't have to have any bolts welded into the upper frame. There is an area just the right size for a C clamp type bolt and washer that worked perfect.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You are going to trust a C-clamp for your shoulder belts?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harvey,
All the hardware I used meets DOT requirements for the job. The C-clamp is placed in the roofline in the exact spot Ford intended for shoulder belts if my car had come with them back in 1969. The only reason I installed them in the first place was to satisfy the wife. She won't ever be in the car when I'm making "DONUTS" or during my "controlled tire wear" sessions; AKA burnouts.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - "controlled tire wear" reminds of the time I was charged with "exuberant disregard for the public good"!! I said "really, constable? In my country we just call it a burnout!" ;>) No sense of humor them Brit's.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts