Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the customers at my father’s shop knew we owned a few cougars. He asked my dad if he was interested in a 1968 GTE cougar. My dad asked why was he selling it and how much was he looking for. He said $1000 as it had 90,000 miles on it. He was using it to drive from east San Jose to the San Francisco Airport daily. (80 miles round trip at 11 MPG) My father asked if he would take less and they settled on $800. He went and purchased a Toyota to go to work. The year was 1976 and gas prices were raising on a regular basis. My father kept the cougar and eventually gave it to me.
Jim
PS See my avatar for my 68 big block and the red GTE.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
One of the customers at my father’s shop knew we owned a few cougars. He asked my dad if he was interested in a 1968 GTE cougar. My dad asked why was he selling it and how much was he looking for. He said $1000 as it had 90,000 miles on it. He was using it to drive from east San Jose to the San Francisco Airport daily. (80 miles round trip at 11 MPG) My father asked if he would take less and they settled on $800. He went and purchased a Toyota to go to work. The year was 1976 and gas prices were raising on a regular basis. My father kept the cougar and eventually gave it to me.
Jim
PS See my avatar for my 68 big block and the red GTE.
Do you still live in San Jose?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
After a Divorce I sold my first XR7/GTE 427 for $850.00, My 68 GT500KR Vert. for $1400.00 and my 67 GT500(Blown Engine) for $500.00. That was in 1973. Those were the going prices with the first gas crunch.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I remember those days well!

But when you're flipping burgers for minimum wage at Hardees, and you can get a very nice Cougar (your first love) for 1K and a pretty warn (and in those days mysterious) Shelby for 2K or 3K, that was a HUGE difference.

"If I only knew then what I know now"....

·
Registered
669 Posts
Stop! Now you got me thinking of the cars I passed on back in the day. Boy, if only we could have known.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lived in Los Gatos, Sunnyvale, and now in San Jose near Camden and Blossom Hill roads.
Jim

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I lived in Los Gatos, Sunnyvale, and now in San Jose near Camden and Blossom Hill roads.
Jim
It'snice to know there is a CJ and GTE near me. If you're ever driving around Meridian & Branham, stop in at Lunardi's market (I'm in the meat department) I'd like to see your car.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I remember scrounging for parts for my '68 Mustang circa 1980 (I was in high school) in a "salvage yard" (I got kicked out of one for calling it a junk yard). There in the yard were 2 Superbirds, hard to miss with the 3 foot wing. One was red, the other sublime green; both complete and both ran. I could've had either one, my choice, for the unreasonable price of $1,500. Problem was as the typical high school student it was about all I could do to pay for the gas and dates for the one car I had.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jimmy,
Do you bring your car to any of the local shows? I am also in NorCal and would be interested in seeing your cougar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts