Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done a EFI conversion on a 67 coug? My plans are to use 5.0 heads on my 289, and the convert to EFI. Well tell me what you think!!! :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well you asked.. so here it is. After a year of trying to get my 89 f250 5.8 efi to idle right the efi gets pulled off tomorrow and its getting converted to a carb. (anyone want to buy the efi setup I'll deal it CHEAP)

I guess efi is ok when it works right but your swap dont sound like its worth the trouble to me. But if its what you want go ahead. Maybe a Holley efi might be good but look at the cost!!. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have looked very hard at this. If you use a mustang h.o. computer, keep in mind that it uses the 351w firing order, not the 289/302. So if you just bolt the efi to your current engine it will idle like garbage and not run right. You can swap the wires on the injector harness around to obtain the 289/302 order or swap the cam to a 351w cam. I looked very hard at this and there are a lot of companies out there that sell the wiring harness, etc, but they are not cheap. windsor-fox and ron morris performance sell custom harness for like 600 bucks. Also bear in mind your fuel lines will have to be replaced and your electrical system will need to be tip top. Also the 86-93 intake manifold flows better than the 94-95. Don't forget that h.o.'s use a roller cam. It is very cool once you get it all hooked up though...lots of torque and great driveability.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It sounds as thogh you would be better off to find a complete 5.0 with EFI to drop in, rather than mess up your 289/302. IMHO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
modifiedmark said:
How about that 1k posts? Do I win a new car or something? lol:D mm
You win the 1981 Cougar Pez Dispenser!!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
kirkm76 said:

You win the 1981 Cougar Pez Dispenser!!!
:spit: YECK!

:p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I remember my mother bought a new 81 Cougar, kinda ugly fox body with a 255 v8? She didnt keep it very long. mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts