Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question for the collective is the following. I realize that you are all going to be thinking "what a newbie".

I am on the hunt for a convertible Cougar. Thinking a 1969. Would entertain either a 68 or a 70 as well. XR7 is the model.

Question is----------did convertibles come with all the different motor types. 351 2v, 351 4v, 428 CJ and then also with ram air? Or did they only come with certain motors and options. Could front discs have been an option? I assume that all Eliminators were coups.

My ideal Cougar I am looking for is a 1969, XR7 convertible, would love to get a manual, with front disc brakes, FM radio and Air. Not sure if these options were all available?
If someone knows and wants to share some info I would very much appreciate any and all info. I thank the group in advance and having sites like this one are so useful in sharing info. Bill

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
No factory made convertibles in 1968.

Convertibles came with all available engines in 69 & 70 except for the Boss 302. You are correct that all Eliminators were hardtops. Front discs were an option on all Cougars.

All the options you're looking for would have been available in 69 except for an FM only radio.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Now I need ro research and find a convertible XR7 with PS, PB, air and a 428 CJ ram air. Were any of the motors "better" than the others? Performance wise bigger is better. I mean reliability wise. Thank you.
No factory made convertibles in 1968.

Convertibles came with all available engines in 69 & 70 except for the Boss 302. You are correct that all Eliminators were hardtops. Front discs were an option on all Cougars.

All the options you're looking for would have been available in 69 except for an FM only radio.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And Bill,

Not to burst your bubble, but do you have around $70K to over $100K to spend? That's is what it is going to take to buy a 428 convertible. Also, 4 speed convertible's are fairly rare, any 4 speed actually.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
And Bill,

Not to burst your bubble, but do you have around $70K to over $100K to spend? That's is what it is going to take to buy a 428 convertible. Also, 4 speed convertible's are fairly rare, any 4 speed actually.

Regards,

Bob
Not very many Bob. 9 total Q code/4spds, 2 standard and 7 XR-7 'verts and 38 total R code/ 4spds, 7 standard and 31 XR-7 'verts for '69. John

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Even Fewer if you want AC.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,
No bubble bursting. 70-100 is a little above where I was thinking of spending. Perhaps I need to look more so at one w/a 351 4v. Power brakes would be nice though. I found a 69 vert 351 2v no rust, fully restord for 20k. That is very doable. I would prefer a manual and a 4v. OK, so air can go away. Now the question is what is that going to go for roughly?
And Bill,

Regards,

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts