Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever wondered if your car is "numbers matching," but you aren't sure where to look, or how to decode everything? Or, are you looking to buy a car and want to find out what's original and what's not? Are you a glutton for boring numbers and codes? Look no further!

As many of you know, Don recently pounced on a '69 428 CJ convertible in SoCal (see thread). We thought it would be the perfect car to poke around and investigate for a video like this. The great thing is, this info applies to a broad range of years and models, so don't be afraid to show your Mustang friends.

Note - There are a couple moments of sudden loudness that could be surprising, so be careful if viewing at work :evil: Enjoy!

·
Registered
735 Posts
No time to watch right now but it will give me something to look forward to watching this evening!

Thanks Andrew!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
So this is what you were talking about Don? I am looking forward to seeing the video and taking notes to see if my numbers match. I hope they do.

·
Registered
437 Posts
OK, so I couldn't wait until tonight. Watched it pausing all along the way taking notes. Now it is time to go take a peek at mine. Great vidoe. Yeah, if I were your kid I'd probably want to go to the beach as well.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Glad you like! I too learned and refreshed some of what I had forgotten over the years. One thing I learned was how the wheels are coded. Something that was reinforced in my mind was to be careful to point out dates that seem to be too early as incorrect. That smog cannister was seemingly dated way to early but nobody would debate the fact that it was really off this car.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Very Cool!

Who's jealous, raise your hand. :wave:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice vid. Are there vin numbers on small blocks and their trans? (1969) Also you can see date stamps on your sheet metal to verify original panels to help decide if car was wrecked. Looks like my car is #'s matching except motor.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
No vin on small blocks for 69 but we might do a similar video on down the road on a small block car. Yes we ended up skipping sheet metal dates and a few other things but the video was getting really looonnnggg... I could not even get my wife through more than half of it even though her cute little 6 year old was at the end. Pretty dry stuff for most folks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No vin on small blocks for 69 but we might do a similar video on down the road on a small block car. Yes we ended up skipping sheet metal dates and a few other things but the video was getting really looonnnggg... I could not even get my wife through more than half of it even though her cute little 6 year old was at the end. Pretty dry stuff for most folks.
One can emphasize on the 'dry stuff for most folks' but I must have the disease pretty bad because, I was totally intrigued!!! Cool video!! Numbers are a weird, boring fun (great winter time conversations for those rainy days in Western Oregon). Just like our conversation yesterday about the weird VIN stamping on my car 69 Cobra, we could go on for hours about numbers when the rest of world could care less. I love it, great video!! This helps me out with my non-Cougar CJ cars.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
One can emphasize on the 'dry stuff for most folks' but I must have the disease pretty bad because, I was totally intrigued!!! Cool video!! Numbers are a weird, boring fun (great winter time conversations for those rainy days in Western Oregon). Just like our conversation yesterday about the weird VIN stamping on my car 69 Cobra, we could go on for hours about numbers when the rest of world could care less. I love it, great video!! This helps me out with my non-Cougar CJ cars.
Birds of a feather flock together... What can I say? We need to get a life!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Awesome stuff Don. Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cool cool. I enjoyed every minute. Perfect video length and very well done as always!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Awesome video Don!!! Thanks again for helping me out on the phone when I bought my CJ ragtop! One of these days we will have to get them together for a photo shoot. They are almost mirror images of each other. Mine is Pastel grey on the outside and light blue inside!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, it was a lot of work on Andrew's part, almost no work for me and minimal for Scott. The next video focuses rebuilding the disc brake proportioning valve, then R&R of the driver side lower hinge while not disturbing the fender, then adjusting the steering box, then bringing a motor to life that has been dormant for years, then replacing a heater core on a AC car and... Well you get the point! Lets just say this car needs lots of work. The videos we do on this car will be aimed at the do it your-selfer with minimal experience and funds. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, it was a lot of work on Andrew's part, almost no work for me and minimal for Scott. The next video focuses rebuilding the disc brake proportioning valve, then R&R of the driver side lower hinge while not disturbing the fender, then adjusting the steering box, then bringing a motor to life that has been dormant for years, then replacing a heater core on a AC car and... Well you get the point! Lets just say this car needs lots of work. The videos we do on this car will be aimed at the do it your-selfer with minimal experience and funds. Can anyone relate?
See, there you go and talk about adjusting the steering box. I think there was a thread that discussed that not really being a possibility. I need my steering looked at and I the thought is that it can be adjusted. I'll stop hijacking this thread.

I did find the VIN on the block tonight of my 390. I could not find the markings by the oil filter though. I have a manual (4 sp) and my markings are different on the tranny too. Great stuff though. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Darn you Don, now I am going to have to upgrade my internet service since it gagged about half way. Your little video would have saved me the last six months researching all of my R-code information. Your dates are scary close to the ones on my car so I will be following this whole saga very closely. Please keep up the awesome research info.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts