Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

My father in law passed away last month and bequeathed to us a all original 1 owner 1968 cougar. He bought it off the the original owner years ago and never titled it. The car is aqua green with a black vinyl top. My wife wants it repainted grabber blue with eliminator type stripes in memory of her dads racing days. Any idea what a decent color change paint job is costing these days if I disassemble and reassemble the car myself. No bodywork needed, no rust, no dents.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would say 5-10k. It the ya get what ya pay for thing. If there is body work to be done you can add that to the bill .

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have paid ten grand so far. That included media blasting to bare metal entire car inside and out. It is primed and just about done being fitted. Real close to paint but I think real close to the ten grand also! This is on a car that had no rust dents or dings. But the guy is a perfectionist and the work so far looks very good. I would agree that you get what you pay for. Also figure what you want in the long run.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Based on what you're describing I would leave it original. They're only original once.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I notice that you DON'T have your location posted? I have heard of some good deals in the south, and south west where labor is cheap, so if you are in that area, ask around.

Changing colors often means areas must be painted that in a less than SHOW quality paint job can be left alone, but in your case, EVERYTHING has to be painted, like maybe the cowl/firewall, etc.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Shop around, there are deals out there. My 1968 Mustang GT/CS is at the body shop right now. Paint, labor, and materials will run me $3500. This is a color change, we are using De Beer paint, and all body panels will be painted off the car and refitted. Interior paint is also included in that price. My body work is estimated to run $2000. My guy is going to keep track of the hours. Standard shop rates are $55hr, he is cutting me a break and charging $35hr.
This is a full on body shop that picks up this kind of work as 'fill-in' work when the insurance jobs are slack. I expect the car to be completed in 3 months time.

This is supposed to be a near show quality paint job, not an over the top, dare you to find a defect paint job. He just finished a 1974 Camaro for a friend, with lesser quality paint and much less detail (cheaper). I was impressed, plus the guy at the paint store where I bought my test paint also gave me a favorable recommendation for the shop.

·
Registered
389 Posts
some of us get lucky. :) the last car i had painted (color change but i did the door jambs and trunk/hood/etc with my spray gun at home) from the body shop neighbor next door was 750 with PPG paint base/clear. It was a 96 neon that we painted BMW titanium silver for my 16 yr old bro in law's first car.

this car, ive got one quote so far of 1000 for base/clear and minor cutting and buffing and i'll do the rest...that'll be them doing the door jambs and trunk and hood etc because its going to be completely dissassembled.

but, for people w/o "connections" of one type or another, its gonna cost alot mroe. some body shops that are the "usual" body shops wont even do full repaints now since its so costly with the water based paints etc, they just stick to the insurance repairs.

but please...please...dont get a "uh oh better get maaco" paint job...leave it alone before that happens haha.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have paid about $1000 so far in body work. Had some spots fixed in fenders and hood and doors prepped everything there is blocked and ready for paint. The estimate to finish (quarter lower patches, a few small rust holes around rear window and full paint from bare metal) is another $2000. Now that does not include the paint and materials. I am going with House of Colors HD vivid black. My brother in law works for a distributor and we have bartered (built his engine and rewired his TR6 and gave him a 429 for his 57 Fairlane) on the paint and supplies. Otherwise that would add another $1000 to $1500 if I was buying. I look to have about $4 to $4,5 K in it by the end not including the paint and supplies.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Based on what you're describing I would leave it original. They're only original once.
You may be killing the value of the car by painting it, depending on the condition of the paint. Can you post some pictures of the car as well as the options, etc?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
For my 1970 XR7 convertible, after full diassembly of the car, it ran about $1000 for media blasting all the metal panels both top and bottom. My car had about $2000 in metal repairs and body work (rear floor pans replaced fronts were good). $1000 spent so far on just paint and materials. My Cougar just went to the paint shop yesterday for primer, blocking, and eventually final paint. I'm expecting ~3 coats clear, and then final buff out. The estimate to finish paint, and then re-assemble the doors, fenders, hood, decklid, etc. is around $5000. Shop rate here is $48 an hour. Good luck on your search. One word of warning. Don't rely on a "friend" to do the painting in his back yard. Been there, done that, and it didn't work out.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You guys make me feel like I am being took. Labor hear is almost 80 per hour, I am paying 60. I bet I end up with 15 into it before I get it back and there was no rust on the car. I had it all dis-assembled when it went to the paint shop. Might have cost me money as now the guy had to put it together to block and fit everything, then back apart to paint? He is very high rated around here though and works mostly on vets, and other muscle cars.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I took mine in block sanded and ready to shoot - still was around $2500 so if you add the hours in 10-15K ain't bad. Harvey's car needed nothing but he is also going more concourse type resto so I think he still got a good deal. Not that paint jobs haven't skyrocketed over the last few years. Hell I tried to paint mine myself and the paint cost $400 and I screwed it up! Now if I add that in + time lost, carry the 7, = way more than it should have! I'd say Scott got the killer deal of them all for sure! Must be a smooth talker huh? ;>) Just got know the right people I suppose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts