Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this and was wondering if it was correct. Just rebuilt the 4300D 4bbl, replaced all the sparkplugs, stock distributor and the vacum advance seems to be working. Car was backfiring, quelled that but punching the accelorator bogs down the engine and it wants to die. Ive checked for vacum leaks, didnt see any and tried different vacum sourses for the vacum advance.
Attach a deep socket connected to a socket wrench onto the single bolt located in the center of the vibration dampener, then rotate the bolt in a clockwise direction until the numbered lines on the edge of the dampener are visible.
Scribe a mark across the number "6" on the edge of the vibration dampener, using chalk. Note that the rare, high-performance 351 Cleveland engines uses different timing points, so consult the engine’s specification’s manual.
Loosen the single bolt at the base of the distributor with a distributor wrench. The bolt is located where the distributor enters the top of the intake manifold.
Clip the timing light’s black alligator clip to the negative battery post.
Clip the timing light’s red alligator clip to the positive battery post.
Clip the timing light’s third wire anywhere along the length of the spark plug wire, which attaches to the spark plug wire on the front of the passenger’s side of the engine.
Locate the metal timing pointer just above the chalk mark, on the edge of the vibration dampener.
Start the engine and aim the timing light at the vibration dampener.
Pull the timing light’s trigger to activate the light. Each time the light flashes, the spark plug wire that the timing light is attached to fires, resulting in a strobe effect. The chalk mark must align with the timing pointer. Rotate the distributor in either direction to move the mark, then turn the engine off when the marks align; tighten the distributor’s bolt.:smoke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
6 to 10 degrees should be a good starting point _ be careful about loosening the dizzy bolt before you start it cuz they like tomove on their own! I like to mark the block and dizzy where I start first so it's easy to go back to sounds like you need to play with the car a bit more though? I am wondering if the accelerate pump is giving a good enough shot?

·
Registered
669 Posts
have you checked maybe a clogged fuel filter?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did adjust the accelerator pump and checked/cleaned the fuel filter when we rebuilt the carb. Thanks for the help and direction. Laughing, I had the week off with anticipation of cruising with the top down in the florida sunshine, not under the hood in the garage, but it has been an experience.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it wasnt the timing, that was dead on (good thing cause we couldnt move the distributor anyway), firing order was correct and vacum was everywhere it was supposed to be (checked with gauge). So it looks like something was missed, overlooked, done wrong on the carb rebuild so going to pull that off and check it over again. Thanks for all the comments and Happy New Year

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Don't forget to disconnect the vacuum advance when setting the initial..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^ GOOD POINT! Forget it 80% of the time....I think if you go through the carb again - methodically you will get it ironed out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not clean your fuel filter. Replace it! Not sure why but i've had the fuel filter on the '68 clog up 3 weeks ago and last week the one on the barracuda clogged up. Yesterday getting onto 95 in a hurry with the camaro, the car started to act as if it was fuel starved. Guess what I'm thinking it is. Your in Ft. Lauderdale and I'm in hollywood, maybe it's somehting in the gas!!
Hey, Do you ever go to Tower Shoppes in Davie?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Havent been to the tower shops in awhile, fridays are usualy hectic down to the buzzer and beyond at work. Not a problem with the fuel filter, but the carb rebuild and more (you can check the update on the anyone build a 4300 thread). Nice to see another cougar owner in South Florida!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I posted a scan of an old timing and electrical tuneup article on the other ccc site, if you're interested.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I would have never gone to the speed/hypo section since i'm just doing basics

·
Registered
39 Posts
Old school hot rod, make sure you dwell is set correct, loosen the distributor hold down bolt just enough so you are able to turn the distributor, start the engine, hold the RPM to 2000, rotate the distributor, you will hear the rpm's climb as you advance. Keep turning you will hear engine smooth out or the highest rpm, lock down the distributor, test drive. Watch temp gauge to make sure you not running to hot, when your at operating temp drive back where you were working on car, shut off, let sit 5 min and see if it will crank, if its to advanced it will crank hard. If it starts your good to go, if it cranks hard loosen distributor hold down and back up the timing just till it cranks ok, your done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts